• In the Spotlight:

Amyone else use nipple shields when breastfeeding?

I've used nipple shields to breastfeed ever since my son was born (he's 5 weeks now). My LC told me I should wean him off those, but didn't really say why other than my milk might not come in right. But I have no problem with my milk, my son nurses fine and he's also fine with his weight.
Does anyone else use nipple shields or has a good reason why I should wean him off? I have tried to, but he only gets frustrated and stops eating and if he feed it really hurts.

januarymom81

Asked by januarymom81 at 10:24 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had inverted nipples and had to use them. My son couldn't latch on at all without them so I always used them.
    Anonymous

• I have a friend who is still using them and her son is 8 mos. If the baby prefers them then use them. They say that you can't develop a proper supply due to them but I haven't heard of a problem yet. Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:26 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I used them with all 4 of my kids because I had nipple issues. I was told the same thing, but I continued to use them and never had any problems. If they work for you and allow you to continue nursing comfortably, I'd just use them.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 10:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I did and then i couldn't wean him off and it was a pain in the butt so I started pumping, then I lost most of my milk... I wouldn't use them ever again. Never even start.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:51 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I think that if you are having a hard time weaning him off of them then there's not too much of an issue with using them, as long as they work well for you guys! If you feel like you would quit breastfeeding if you had to stop using the shields, then by all means keep using them because breastmilk is all and everything your baby needs.

You could always try nursing him until he gets upset and then using the shield, maybe eventually he will nurse a little longer without them each time.

Anyways, your doing great!! Good job feeding with the booby :) Dont stop!
    Anonymous

• I used one with my daughter for 10 months.I never had a problem with my milk or anything.She wouldn't latch on without it.As long as it works for you and your baby and it's not affecting your milk or anything I don't see any reason to wean him off of it.
    pannah

Answer by pannah at 11:54 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• if it's working for you then you can keep it.
    Reasons to get rid of it... it can be a PAIN to have to have and keep on when they grab and you need one everytime you feed
    It can affect milk supply... I though mine was fine until I got my son off his at 6 week... he had been a tiny thing but growing... but when I got rid of it he gained 4 lbs in a month!!! And my milk supply went WAY up
    To wean my son I took it away and didn't give it back... he wasn't happy about it but the shield was causing him to have a lazy latch and I was getting sore. I had to teach him how to latch on right it took about 3 days before we had it down without any fussing because there wasn't a shield.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:06 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• i have inverted nipples. i HAD to use the shield.(best invention ever) otherwise my dd wasnt gonna get anything. the breastfeeling nurse that came to my house told me to wean her off. i asked her why.. she said bc she shouldnt get use to it. but then like the next day she said dont wean her off. whatever gets the job done. which didnt make sense. so my answer is.. do what makes u feel better about it and makes the baby happy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I breastfed my first daughter for a year with the breast shield, it was a lifesaver! We had latching issues from the get go! When my six month old was born I asked the nurse for a breastshield and she brought me one. well the baby kept crying and something just didnt seem right and it turns out they gave me a nippleshield that was to small! I almost lost ALL my milk supply because of that crap! Thankfully we are still nursing 6 months later with no nipple shield, I say what ever works for you momma!
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 1:09 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I did because it was the only way either of my kids could latch on... I have inverted nipples too, and even when I pulled them out for breastfeeding, they were really small. And both of my kids were so small that they had to have prompting to get their mouths open wide enough to establish my milk supply. With both I found that they just stopped needing them at one point, but I didn't push it with either of them.
    AesSedai

Answer by AesSedai at 5:38 PM on Feb. 27, 2009