How do I open up my heart again?

I have been hurt by most of the guys I've had a relationship with. I seem to fall for the same guy. Not on purpose but they end up that way. So now after my divorce when I go out with a guy as soon as he shows me anything close to what my ex-husband did to me I run. How can I get over this and start to try to find true love? Will I ever be able to let everything go and start dating again? I had two people say to not date until I am happy with myself and everything else around me and one person that said to date and just date with no intentions of anything other than friendship...anyone else have ideas?

aidansmom111804

Asked by aidansmom111804 at 10:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• I think that it was a wise friend you have that said not to date until you can be content with yourself and happy by yourself. What it comes down to is: Date only who you could ever even CONSIDER marrying. Don't keep going with someone who you don't "feel it" with, no matter if they are "nice". Also, when it comes to marriage and finding that person, you need to have mutual values, etc. You need to be with someone who, when their looks fade, their opinions change, and they do gross things, you'll still love them. It's called "Unconditional Love". NO CONDITIONS. "NO MATTER WHAT" LOVE! If he will love you if you are 600 pounds, or get cancer, or he has to wipe your butt, you are poor, rich, stink, disagree with him, he'll still love you. And VICE VERSA--if you will only love someone based on "conditions," you'll forever be where you are now.

I suggest: find a church. Let God find you, and get that relationship right first.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• well if guys you are dating are showing you the same things ur ex hubby did you should run you know it wont work so why waste your time and their's you need to work on you before you can work on a relationship
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 11:42 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I say in this situation is take some time to know yourself. Give yourself time to think about what your looking for in the relationship. I would say tallk to guys. Get to know them first then began to date them. But be by yourself first and give yourself time to heal before you open doors for someone else. Get over your last relationship first then move on.
    mommatime78

Answer by mommatime78 at 1:07 AM on Feb. 6, 2009