More pissed than I probably should be...

Ds has been coming home from school with his snack uneaten. When asked, he told me he wasn't hungry at snack time. This morning he asked me if I would send some money so he could have some juice with snack. I told him I payed for his juice already. He then lets me know that he used that money for icecream at snack. This flew all over me. Ds is in first grade and I send an envelope in his folder with his name, his teacher's name, the dollar amount and what it is for.

I don't understand why she would allow him to spend the money on something else. It also pisses me off that icecream is offered EVERY day during snack. I talked to ds and let him know that I expect him to get what I pay for. I also sent a note to his teacher. Am I over reacting? Would you be pissed?

mommy_wambles

Asked by mommy_wambles at 9:08 AM on Aug. 30, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• wow, i am stunned they even offer ice cream or juice as a snack! our schools don't even have those options anymore, granted my dd brings her own snack every day but the teacher told me only water bottles was allowed.
    As per your concern, yeah I would be upset too but hopefully after the note and now that you've talked to your ds hopefully it won't happen again :-/
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 9:32 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• I bet she will get the message now,, in her defense, it might be hard to keep track of who is supposed to have what when,, I wish that I could deter DS from having pancakes every morning, but the food card doesn't specify what exact food it is for, I imagine she will be more on the ball now,, the not was nice right? LOL
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:24 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• First of all, I don't think ice cream should be in school cafeterias. I'm surprised Michelle Obama hasn't pushed the issue. If they want "ice cream" sell frozen Gogurt sticks. Once frozen they taste like ice cream and have less sugar.

They keep talking about how unhealthy American kids are and selling ice cream is just adding to the problem. I agree with you.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:15 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Why don't call the teacher and say he cant have a ice cream every day? Maybe just let him buy one on Fridays? Tell her it needs to be juice and whatever Monday-Thursday
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:16 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• I bet he didn't give the money to the teacher, or she assumed that snack, meant whatever snack he wanted to have? Our school doesn't have ice cream, but I load his lunch account a couple of weeks at a time,, I am sure that for breakfast he goes for pancakes every time, I don't know how upset I would be for a small dish of ice cream, it is alot to expect a 5 year old to make good food choices when we are not there.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:16 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• I know, kimigo, that's why i send it to the teacher in an envelope marked "juice". I also send an envelope marked"icecream" on friday. The kids are not allowed to carry money as all money has to be turned in to the office.
    mommy_wambles

Comment by mommy_wambles (original poster) at 9:21 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Ds also has ibs and that is marked in his health file. He can't have dairy very often or his stomach goes crazy.
    mommy_wambles

Comment by mommy_wambles (original poster) at 9:22 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• I do see your point, kimigogo. Lol. I was polite but direct in expressing my concerns. I never want to make the teacher feel insulted. I know her job is hard.
    mommy_wambles

Comment by mommy_wambles (original poster) at 9:27 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• I'd be pissed too. Ice cream should not be in school.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 9:39 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• I've never heard of a school offering snacks at all (besides preschool, which the parents would take weekly turns providing for all students in the class). In our school they eat a 'working snack', which I guess means they are allowed to eat at their desk while they are working on school work. At lunch, if they finish their food they are allowed to buy dessert which they have termed 'seconds' (imagine my confusion). Instead of sending money to their school we have student accounts where they use their student ID number to buy things. You can refill the amount of their account and you can also prohibit them from buying junk foods.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:45 AM on Aug. 30, 2012