Is this out of line

My son is in the 8th grade and is doing okay so far,you know how it is when kids go back to school they are tired and not very excited whole heartedly about some of their teachers. Anyways at my sons school they have some box that has an assortment of recommendations. Anyone can put your name in the box,and I guess some people think my sons depressed,I can tell you 100% he is NOT depressed,in fact if anything he's mad at a few teachers who have marked him as a sluff when he wasn't. Some girl sitting behind him was poking him in the back and when he told her to stop she went and told the teacher that he called her a bitch. He says he didn't call her anything and the principle has been harrassing him. He says he was in the principles office for 35 minutes while the principle repeatedly asked the same question over and over again about why the teacher would mark him as a SLUFF and my son told him that he had no idea because he was there and in the class just like everybody else. Now they are crossing a line in my opinion my forcing him to take a depression class,that in my opinion they have no right to do.
If I'm just being overly sensitive please tell me,however I feel like their job is to educate my child they are not licensed therapists or anything in fact they are far from it,and who the hell has the right to do that? It's like someone coming up to your happy well adjusted self and saying "oh you must be depressed so we've chosen you to take part in a class even though we have no freaking clue how you really feel!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Aug. 30, 2012 in

• what is a "SLUFF"? and I think you need to go in and talk to the principal and/or the counselor and find out exactly why they think your son needs to be in that class (a depression class? really?!). Also, how long has he been back in school? I can't imagine the teachers making these assumptions about someone in the first couple weeks of school, the kids need to adjust and get back to the school routine! :-/
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 9:57 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Have him evaluated by is own doc ASAP... get a note saying depression is NOT the issue... make an appointment with the principal and guidance and layout all these concerns. YOU are your child's best advocate.... if you think they are reading things wrong by not paying attention to the things your son is telling you then YOU need to get in there and fight for him. The worst thing a school can do is take a child's voice away... so you need to be that voice!! Talk to them ASAP so this does not get out of hand!!! 

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:59 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• If a child doesn't show up for class and,OR, they are really late it's considered a sluff.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:00 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• I would also address the "labeling" issue... that's just inappropriate!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:01 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Good gravy. They are going to ruin your son's education. Make an appt with your doctor. And tell that damn school he is NOT taking a depression class. Also, who ever came up with this labeling box or idea crap needs their dang head examined!
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 10:05 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• I agree with Crafty. Have him evaluated by your own professionals and then bring a note. What kind of school will take a student's untrained diagnosis of depression and apply them to another student? This is just the school opening up a door for another kind of bullying. What if a bunch of catty girls went and said one of their peers was screwing the whole football team each week just to be bitchy little girls? Would they take that to heart and counsel an innocent girl - assuming that she is guilty just because some of her peers say so? That is one of the weakest ways to lead children I have ever heard. That's like CM giving us the DV button to allow us to police ourselves. LOL.

At best, it's lazy of the school to expect peers to diagnose other students.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:05 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Oh believe me Crafty I will be fighting for him,noones gonna pull this crap on my kid especially since school has only been in session for a week! I won't put up with a principle thinking he can pull a power thing over me and my kids either. They can stick to teaching my kids their ABC's and 123's and leave the other concerns for the family.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• "Anyone can put your name in the box"

Even students? If students can put names in the box too then you seriously need to write a letter to the school board. That is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard of.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 10:08 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Okay well at least I know now that they are over stepping their boundaries,thank you for all of your thoughts.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:09 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Well, fight for you son,but also keep an open mind. You'd hate yourself if years from now, he indeed has issues now. Schools aren't the enemy ,for the most part they care about your child and he may very well be exhibiting an attitude that points to depression. Did he have a bad summer? Does he have a good support group of friends? Does he feel like part of a group? These people are with your child 8 hours a day and they see him from a different perspective.
    All I'm saying is keep your mind open. A kid who is depressed might very well lie to you while simultaneously reaching out to someone else.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:14 AM on Aug. 30, 2012