Have you ever dealt with Banfield?

Last year we decided to take our dog to Banfield 4 his care b/c the vet we were seeing got way too costly. We did the initial exam thing, etc. Then my dog started having problems with walking & had a rather large soft bump show up just above his hips. We took him to Banfield Tues. & were told that they thought it was his kidney which was enlarged. No tests were done at this point, but they worked up an est. for tests they wanted to do ($500+). The vet acted like my dog was being condemned to death & no hope. I decided I wanted a 2nd opinion, so I took him to my mom's vet. Turns out, my dog has a problem with his back knee & b/c of the pain (arthritic), it causes him to walk different & caused a muscle in his back to swell. Vet gave us an anti-inflammatory & said to put him on Glucosamine, but otherwise, he's a very healthy dog with lots of years ahead of him. Anyone else have issues with Banfield?

TeensMom07

Asked by TeensMom07 at 10:50 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Pets

• I have been taking my dog to Banfield for years with no problem. I take my cats there too.
    Anonymous

• I know I definitely will NEVER take my dog back there again. This vet at Banfield didn't appear to even know the anatomy very well. And, believe me, this week was hell thinking my dog was going to die of renal failure, plus the thought of putting out all of that money! Thankfully, we did get a better vet who is even more reasonable in cost out of this! Not to mention peace of mind!
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 10:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• The woman who examined my dog at Banfield even seemed scared of him. He's a small dog (Pomeranian) and not very brutal or mean, either. Guess it's just the one around here.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 10:53 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• It sounds like that Banfield vet wasn't very caring or concerned. The one I go to always listen to my concerns and take in everything. The vet I had before Banfield was awful. I don't even remember the name of them now.
    Anonymous

• Well, I really am convinced that I do not ever want to set foot in there, again. I just left there with a very uneasy feeling after this episode. I didn't feel too comfy last year when I had him there for a regular exam and this really turned me off.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 10:59 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I take all four of our dogs to Banfield and I havent had any problems with them. Before we left to go to Germany for a few years we went there and they actually showed that they care. But we also have them on the welness plan because it would cost to much if we didn't. That is like yesterday I dropped off my two female german sheppards and it only cost me 15.05 and if i didn't have the plan on them it would have been over 500. I know that different place have different people working there. Where we are the people actually care about the animals and they make sure they are ok. When we were in German the German and military vets there really made me want to do my own treatments for our dogs. Sorry you didnt have a good experience with them.
    mellowmomof3tn

Answer by mellowmomof3tn at 7:24 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• i worked at a small, 4 dr practice, and i can tell you that we had a lot of clients come in unsatisfied with Banfield. looking at the receipts some people got, it seemed like the company (because that is what it is, a company out to make money) was giving a lot of unnecessary vaccines and hiding them in "packages" that just sound like a good deal. it seems like they have a high turnaround rate of clients, employees, and doctors, and that means you may not be getting personalized care. i can promise you that vets don't really make all that much money, and most of the cost of your visit goes to overhead costs to run the clinic. i would rather pay those few extra dollars for a doctor that remembers my pets, and has the ability to give a discount every once in a while or even give me free stuff- cos Banfield can't do that.

MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 9:59 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• If you live in or near an agricultural/rural area, go there. Look up a rough, old "farm vet" and take your dogs and cats to him. For the vet, the pets are a pleasant sideline to working with big farm stock. They really know what they are doing, and do better than a "city vet" in most cases. They usually charge less, too. Their "people skills" are a little rusty, but after all, you are going to them to get your pet healed, not have somebody hold your hand.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• um...what's Banfield?

I am in the middle of switching vets and hoping to find someone before May when Sassy is due for her shots.

We used to go to the man who's people skills sucked like a high pressure vaccuum but he was awesome with animals. Even my grandmother's psycho calico.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 7:32 PM on Feb. 7, 2009