Any advice?

We have always known that DS1 was bright. But it seems that it is becoming more and more apparent with each week at school right now. He is 14 and in 9th grade, all honors classes when the are available. His memory and comprehension is just amazing.

The problem is that he is bored in class. He is having the time of his life with clubs and more freedoms, but he has already taught himself 90% of honors geometry. His teacher found out that he can test out of geometry and go into Algebra 2. I told him that if he is confident in his skills he should take the test. But he's a little nervous.

For those who have been there, what would you do? Have him stay in geometry, where he knows most of it and can likely pass out now or keep him in. And have him tutored in Algebra 2, so he can test out of it at the end of the year and then go straight to pre-calc in his sophomore year?

balagan_imma

Asked by balagan_imma at 10:11 AM on Aug. 30, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• I would ask him what HE wants to do. If he wants to try to test out- let him. If he doesn't feel good about it - don't push it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:13 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• I think you should allow him to do so,,the worst thing that can happen is he would have to re-take geom. I would most likely hold back on advancing him an entire grade level,, I bet when he is a senior they will allow him to do college work,, 14 is a hard age for boys, but with your encouragement,, he will do amazing!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:15 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• He's not sure. That's why I'm asking. He said this morning that he was worried about catching up in Algebra 2, and I told him I'd get him a tutor - even his favorite teacher from his old school.
    balagan_imma

Comment by balagan_imma (original poster) at 10:16 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• I think I'd let him make the decision. Let him know that he has nothing to be afraid of, assuming he's nervous about taking the test, it doesn't matter. Who's going to know? Only him you and the teacher. If he passes (which it sounds like isn't even an issue) he goes on to Algebra 2, and if he doesn't, no big deal, he takes geometry.

Either way, he has nothing to lose.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:17 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Thanks kimi - he's not even thinking about skipping a grade. And one of his classes is already concurrent with a local community college. He is taking a double career path in computers and engineering, so he sees 4 years of high school as an opportunity to take as much as he can so he can double major in college.

It's funny because we all worry about our kids doing well in school. When did it become a problem when they do too well?!
    balagan_imma

Comment by balagan_imma (original poster) at 10:18 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• My youngest son took college math classes starting his sophomore year. he took calculus and trigonometry at the city college and was given both high school and college credits for them.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:20 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• So, if he tests and passes then is he forced to go into Algebra 2, or can he still decide to stay in Geometry? I would encourage him to test.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:25 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• He can still decide. Think he can take the test this Friday or next Wed. That would give him the weekend to learn the bit he needs to be sure he can pass. Strangely, the test doesn't make him nervous, it's catching up in the new class.

I think it is next year that he can start getting the college credit as well as the knowledge. And if he completes certain requirements he will have automatic acceptance into the Colorado School of Mines, which is already on his short list.
    balagan_imma

Comment by balagan_imma (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• I would imagine that what is making him nervous is being with older kids (he probably doesn't want to tell you that) Let him choose, and no matter what sounds like this kid is going somewhere!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:54 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• AP classes. In may high school they have college courses taught right in the high school. Contact his college counselor or the Academic dean.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:05 AM on Aug. 30, 2012