How do you even begin to potty train??

My DS is 18 months old. I hear all the time "Oh she was potty trained at 2!" "He used the potty at a year and a half!"
What am I missing?
How do you begin to do it? He can tell when his diaper is full, he's watched himself pee (many times, right before getting in the bath, usually all over me!!) but I'm not sure if he'd be able to understand the concept of a potty, and what I can do to help him.

MissTyphani

Asked by MissTyphani at 10:51 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sometime u think there ready and they are not. you have to wait till they are u can set him on there and give him a sippy cup of water and just have them wait and go pee see about when he tells u he needs to be changed or that he went they have to want to do it first
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 10:58 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• here is another post but it's a baby girl that she's trying to potty train, not much difference at this age. she's got a few answers one or two from me just thought i'd link it over to you

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/126037/Potty_Training_HELP
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 11:10 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I wouldnt rush it if your son is not mentally ready. Heck dont feel bad I had a friend who didnt potty train her son until he was after 3!

We gave our son treats every time he went to the potty, then eventually just cut out the treats. Also going to buy underwear was a huge help. He was a little older than your boy when we started and was completly diaper free by his second b-day. We also got one of those thrown pottys at walmart that make sound everytime they are used. My son got a kick out of peeing and hearing the music
    MAMMA2DYANDTY

Answer by MAMMA2DYANDTY at 11:50 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Make it fun for them. We bought our son a musical potty for our downstairs bathroom, he has a little seat with handles in his bathroom. Sometimes he would rather just sit on the big potty. Point being, he has options so he feels like it's really up to him going potty and how. Some people may not agree with this but, we give him one M&M when he pees in the potty and two when he poops in it. Also, when he actually goes, or even tries, get really excited for him/her. We get excited and tell our son it was a great try and maybe next time he'll be able to. It's really working for us. Good luck!
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 12:36 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• i just let my son go in the bathroom with me and keep his potty beside the real one and when he asks to go potty i take his diapper off and let him sit on the potty and if he does something (pee or poop) then i make a huge deal over it its like he won the nobel prize or something then if his father is home we go out in the living room and his father make a fuss over it too so he gets the concept he did somethign good
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 8:10 AM on Feb. 6, 2009