Newborn Essentials

What are the basic essentials a mom needs for the first month with a newborn. Just the basic stuff.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Onesies, if you are in a cold area undershirts are really nice for newborns and I used so many when my son was born, a place for baby to sleep, socks. Really don't need much that first month. If you are going to swaddle, blankets.
    Anonymous

• for the mom or baby???
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 10:58 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• 1. Boobs :) lol
    2. diapers (duh)
    3. wipes
    4. butt-rash cream
    5. fragrance free lotion and soap (little baby's often have sensitive skin)
    6. lots of blankets & recieving blankets for swaddling
    7. nose sucker!! (couldnt have lived without mine)
    8. a sling or some type of baby-carrier
    9. lots of naps
    10. support!!

I just put down the first ten things that came to mind that were very useful to me in the first few months. There's really not too many "items" that you actually NEED, all your baby really needs is you, your milk, and the comfort of being able to hear your heartbeat and smell you. Just keep your baby close, stay relaxed, learn how to nurse laying down, and get rest whenever your baby is sleeping.

Good luck!
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 11:01 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Bassinet so the baby can sleep close. Rubbing alcohol + Baby Q-tips for umbilical cord (or you can use plan water). Petrolium jelly for circumscisions as well as to insert a rectal thermometer. Rectal thermometer. "Sleep Sacks" or "Wearable Blankets" are the best night clothes to reduce the risk of SIDS (blankets are no longer recommended to be in the baby's bed) are warm and a breeze for 4am diaper changes. Diapers. You can use plain water and wash clothes as wipes when they're newborn. Breast pump just in case you're milk isn't coming in and you need more stimulation. Pacifiers (although the hospital may give you some). Receiving blankets and onesies. Diaper cream (some babies don't need it. I use it as a moisture barrier just in case). Head-to-toe wash and wash clothes for sponge baths. A carseat. Nursing bras (I use sports bras and just pull them up). Nipple cream. Nursing pads. Diaper bag.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:02 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Um, I know this isn't "supplies,' but read the books, "On Becoming Babywise" and "The Happiest Baby on the Block" because I wish that I had "babywise" before mine turned 4 months!

but, diapers (Luvs are just as good or better than Huggies, etc, and CHEAPER!), wipes, desitin, blankets, burp cloths, bassinet or crib, sleepers, onsies, booties/socks, car seat, hats, (a swing or vibrating seat can be a LIFESAVER!), depending on your house, a baby monitor, a fan or something for "white noise", nasal irrigator (suction thingy!), rectal thermometer, lotion, shampoo, baby wash, hooded towels are nice to have, oil for his head if he gets cradle cap, trash can for diapers, binkies if you plan to use them, a comfy chair to feed in, a pediatrician!, if you are going to use bottles you aren't supposed to use unboiled tap water, so id boil a pitcher, put it in fridge. a bottle warmer saved us! DONT give babies COLD formula/milk. :)
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:05 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• TOTALLY not bashing, but if you plan to breastfeed DO NOT use babywise!!!! I used it for six months and almost starved my daughter and was extremely lucky to be able to save my milk supply. If you breastfeed, nurse on demand, and nothing else. Breastfeeding doesnt work with a schedule. Scheduling feedings is one of the top reasons for low milk supply and failure to thrive in infants.

There are sites with other stories about how babywise was detrimental rather than helpful. It's dangerous, period end of story. Some other moms have better info about babywise than me because I learned about it on here in a breastfeeding group.. anyways, just a warning!
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 11:12 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• we co-sleep so we didn't use the crib. If you plan to breastfeed stay away from babywise. Also if u plan to breastfeed I highly recomend a boppy and nipple cream. Nursing bras w/out underwire and nurseing pads. I never needed a pump. The free website kellymom.com Car seat. My midwife told me not to worry about alchol for the cord stump, turns out it's not nessary to do that. Circumsision isn't nessary so we didn't(so no need for vasaline). Diapers, changeing pads, wet wipes, diaper cream(I personally hate Desitin). Onsies, sleepers, sleep sack pj's, socks, blankets, and a pack of gerber cloth diapers(they make great burp cloths and you can stuff your bra with them when u are at home so u use less breast pads). Infant Myclin or Gripe water for gas. Infant hats. I also recomend an unscented baby shampoo/body wash as well as an unscented lotion
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 11:41 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My most valuable baby item was the baby bouncer. I got a $25.00 one at Wal-mart that vibrates. She had an expensive swing, a pack and play, a crib and her favorite spot was the $25.00 baby bouncer. I couldn't live without it! Plus, it is super easy to take baby from room to room without interrupting sleep.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:05 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Bassinet and a boppy pillow. Couldn't have done without either in that first month. We ended up co-sleeping after about 6 weeks, but I really think you need a place for baby to sleep in your room if you're not going to co-sleep. And a crib takes up a lot of space, so it's unlikely that you'd want that in your room.

A boppy pillow is good whether you're breastfeeding or not. Holding a baby all day can do a number on your arms.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 2:19 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Oh, and a swing. I couldn't have done without that either. But all babies are different when it comes to those things. But definitely the boppy and the bassinet (unless you plan on co-sleeping from day 1)
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 2:20 AM on Feb. 6, 2009