Anyone else have a fear of other children?

My son is getting to that friend making age and I'm starting to freak out. I don't deal with children well. I don't dislike them (most of them anyway) but I just don't know how to talk to them and I fear the day my son wants to bring friends over or have a birthday party. Let me explain what I mean by fear. I'm not literally frightened by them but being around kids I don't know just makes me uncomfortable and I feel awkward. I don't know how to talk to them and when they talk to me I don't know how to respond or make conversation. I end up just saying one word answers and wanting them to go away lol. I'm fine with my own son of course but I'm just not looking forward to other kids hanging around. Maybe its because I grew up an only child and was only ever around adults or because I have some social anxiety to begin with but I don't know how to get over this fear. Has anyone else felt a similar way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Aug. 30, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• LOL,I'm like that too. Especially with the little ones that babble on and on. I end up talking to them like they were adults

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:46 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• I don't feel awkward in front of other kids, but I don't generally like other kids for the most part. I can easily pick out the flaws that bother me most. I figure others do this with my children as well.
    Gosh, reading that makes me sound horrible. It's not that I don't like other kids, I just don't have the maternal feelings for them that I have for my own. We all run out households differently and we all parent differently, so I sometimes find myself bothered by something that isn't a big deal in other people's homes, but it's a big deal in mine. I hope that makes sense.
    As for feeling awkward, just talk to them like you talk to your child. Ask them questions like you ask your child questions.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:49 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Can you talk to them like you talk to your own child?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:45 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Nope. I'm one of those adults that all the kids seem to flock to. I don't understand why, though. lol I just know that at home, my kids are always up my butt, and when we go anywhere, I end up with my own kids and several others (usually that I don't even know!) fighting for space with them. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:54 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• I am fine with kids the same age or younger than my 5yr old, I've been there, I know what they understand and what is funny-but any kid older I always feel like I sound condescending, I'm in unchartered territory!!
    Hollander

Answer by Hollander at 11:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• meooma I've tried and no I can't I don't know why. It's easy when they're toddlers and I've had no problems there but when they're older kids and can actually talk in sentences and ask real questions it just makes it weird.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:49 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• butterfly exactly me too. And what makes it even more awkward is that kids always seem to take a liking to me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:50 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• QuinnMae I know what you mean. I look at a lot of other kids like evil little buggers lol. That sounds horrible too and not that I literally think they are evil but because they aren't mine and I didn't raise them I just feel like they're just not the same as my son or something lol.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:53 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• No, I am totally comfortable with kids of any age. It's their parents who make me feel uncomfortable & I would like to avoid.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:53 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• I'm not that great around kids sometimes. Especially the ones that I don't like. But, if you ask them questions, they'll give you some interesting answers. Try to train yourself to smile a liftle and ask some questions "how was your day? Do you like your teacher? Who annoys you in your class?" They'll chat with you a little or give you a funny answer and then maybe you'll warm up to them. They can tell how you are feeling. If you don't want to talk to them, they're going to want to avoid you too. If my kid has a friend over, I try to keep them outside. I tell them to stay out - bring them snacks outside and I do tell the kid where the bathroom is just in case they have to go and are afraid to ask. You'll warm up to them. If not, its only a few more years until college.
    Shaun888

Answer by Shaun888 at 10:50 PM on Aug. 30, 2012