MSN Question of the day: Do you think the 'gay cure' therapy should be banned for teens?

Calif. closer to banning 'gay cure' therapy for teens
The bill's sponsor, Sen. Ted Lieu, said trying to turn gay kids straight amounts to 'psychological abuse of children'.

1. Yes

2. No

3. Not Sure

I have to say I had heard of this type of therapy but not it's use on kids. I am not sure but leaning toward Yes

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it should be banned period. Being gay is not a disease, there is no need for a "Cure".
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:19 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• yes. i cant remember the name but i watched a documentary that included a look into these "camps"...only a sick parent would knowingly send their teen to one of those.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:39 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Yes, that religious pseudo psychology stuff is seriously messing up some people!

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• A million times YES!

Like Kristi said, gay is not a disease. It is not wrong. It is nothing but two people loving each other. Why try to fix something that isn't broken?
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• No, but I do think it's stupid. I don't think the government should be involved in those sorts of decisions
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• I frankly do not know what precicely is involved. Counseling, I am fine with. More than that when it comes to children I am not to sure about. 18+ It should be up to them to decide.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:41 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Banned across the board. Yes government can legally ban this type of "therapy." If a treatment or intervention is used by a licensed clinician (psychotherapy is regulated by the state so you do not see someone who is not trained, did not pass the state boards, and is not educated) it must be evidence based practice. Which means it is known to be benefitial and not harmful. The first rule in the profession is do no harm. It has been determined this approach does serious long term harm to an individual and their family. So yes, it should be banned.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• I think it should banned for EVERYONE. It's stupid and harmful. Being gay is not a disease!! There is NOTHING to be cured. Fucking idiots that came up with that need some therapy on HOW TO BE A CARING HUMAN BEING.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Unfortunately, the real counseling these kids need is how to get by in a world where so many judge them for being who they are. :(

So to answer your question, yes, that type of "therapy" needs to banned.  And hopefully replaced with something more useful to help these kids who are struggling.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:58 AM on Aug. 31, 2012