As a parent have you had a frightening experience that involved your child?

I have. When my daughter was 13 months old, I was making split pea soup and she wanted a taste, I gave her a tiny baby spoon and immediately her nose started swelling shut and she had trouble breathing. I gave her liquid benadryl and called an ambulance. This scared me so bad - I was shaking.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 12:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2012 in General Parenting

• At 2 years old my son was run over . The car was packing out of the driveway and didn't see him. I watched in horror for what seemed like an eternity before being able to move. Ambulance was called, driver was in shock, thankfully child was okay.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:18 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• OH My Meooma, that's so horrible. I'm glad your son was okay.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:31 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• My oldest DD's birth was a scary experience. Her heartbeat was lost on the monitor during labor (fetal distress) and had to be born via an emergency C-section.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:17 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• The whole birth experience and 4 weeks of NICU after. DD was 7 weeks early due to severe preeclampsia.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:18 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Meooma, I got chills just reading that! :(
    The nearest thing would be when I broke my ankle, I was holding dd on my lap (she was about 18mo) at the computer and we had a rolling desk chair, I must've leaned back too far or something and the chair fell backwards and my foot got caught in the spokes underneath and my ankle broke in like 3 places. I was SO scared that my dd had been hurt too but luckily she just fell on top of me and was ok (we had very hard cement floors with just a thin floor rug at the time). The worst part was her seeing me in pain and she couldn't really do anything to help because the phone was up on the top part of my desk (about 5ft up) and she couldn't get to it for me. Thankfully she doesn't remember any of this now but I sure do! :P
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 12:38 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• A few, DS had to be pulled out of me via C-section when he got stuck in the birth canal. Took them 17 min to get him out and he didn't breath for 2 min. (Little shit got out of the NICU before they would release me from the hospital since I had a mystery infection) At 4 months old he had to have surgery on his skull because he was born with Craniosynostosis.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• More than I can count.

Son:
    18 months, I looked a a pair of shoes for him for 3 seconds, looked up and he was GONE. Found him 3 aisles over and halfway towards the door.
    3 years, face planted into a concrete retaining wall (1-2 feet tall) around the playground at a local park. Took him straight to the ER, we though he had broken his face. He only had scrapes and bruises.
    3 years, went camping with husband's church. It was starting to get dark and we couldn't find him. We hollered and hollered, no answer. Even went down to the groups near the river looking for him. No one had seen him. He was at the campfire 30 feet away making s'mores the whole time. He didn't hear us screaming at the top of our lungs for him.

continued
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:13 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• continued

Daughter:
    2ish went camping again (son was 5ish), she got locked in a port-a-potty and started screaming. I thought she'd fallen in and took off sprinting towards her, only to pull a muscle half way there.

2.5 fell out of bed and broke her collar bone

4.5 had heart surgery

5ish cut her leg open on her brother's bed, needed 3 stitches. And other random cuts, scrapes and bruises over this past summer.

This is what I get for wanting healthy, active kids. My daughter especially, has no fear and no concept of an edge. It still beats the hell out of sedentary, "vegetable" children. I babysat one of those as a baby. It was sad. He was 4 months old, already had a flat spot on the back of his head, and parents NEVER interacted with him. He was a healthy, "normal" baby, just ignored.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:18 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Sure. When DD was about a year old she decided to show off her stair climbing skills. I live in a raised ranch so there are three BRICK steps from our driveway to the front door. We were outside playing with Grandma and I had to run in for something. I'm more than halfway up the stair case when I hear giggling, turn and there's my daughter climbing her way behind me. I moved to reach for her to carry her the rest of the way and she backed away...and then feel about 7 steps down. My heart stopped.

DD is also allergic to peanuts. We found out the hard way. :( her reaction then was not life threatening but we had no way of knowing what was going to come after the severe vomiting (it makes the Exorcist movie scene look like spit-up) at the time.

When my son was about 2 years old he had pneumonia. He was so sick. :( Poor kid. He finally got btter and I came down with strep throat and pink eye -- while 6 months pregnant with DD
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• When dd was born the cord was wrapped around her neck when the doctor was trying to get it up and over. I went into a contraction that stressed the cord and it snapped at her belly button site. A team of docs and nurses came out of the woodwork. She was very blue and had an Apgar scores of 2, 4 & 7. The doctors put so much drugs into my IV I was numb from the shoulders down and didn't have a care in the world, though I knew there was a problem.

Just after my dd's 1st birthday she had a seizure in the middle of the night. It turned out to be a fibrial seizure but it scared the hell out of me. Thank goodness the hospital is only up the block and around the corner. At 1 am dh drove through a red light.

There's more but I think that's enough for now. Now you know why I color my hair.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 1:36 PM on Aug. 30, 2012