What happens to your credit score when you get married?

I'm in the high 600s and SO is in the low 400s with an uncountable amount of bills in collections. Mostly medical.

I think we are permanently engaged because I don't want his crap to ruin my crap, but I don't know exactly how it works.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 3:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2012 in Relationships

• I wouldnt marry until he pays those off because once you're married they can come after you
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• You will have separate scores after you're married. However, most debts become shared debt, and they can affect your credit score as well. I'd go to a credit counselor before marrying him. With all of the things that have happened in the economy the last few years it's more important than ever to have a good credit score. I score that was considered good 4 years ago is no longer good!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Once you are married his bills are your bills. He needs to really concentrate on paying those off.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• There's no physical way to pay off the debt he has. It's an amazing amount. We'll just stay engaged.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 4:19 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• has he thought about filing for bankruptcy?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Now I'm curious how much it is, LOL. Sounds like you have the right idea though. I wouldn't want that to affect my credit either.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Yes he's mentioned filing medical bankruptcy. I don't know what that is or how it works. His paychecks pay our bills- there's just no extra left for his past. From age 18 to now 29 I don't think he's paid any of his medical bills. I don't know how much it is.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Medical bills can pile up so fast. Back in 2005 we had around $20,000 in out of pocket medical expenses, and that was AFTER insurance. I feel bad for you guys.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• They cannot come after you as the new wife for bills HE accumulated before you got married. They aren't your bills and you are not obligated to pay them. His credit score does not affect yours. If your score is in the 600's and you continue making your payments on time it will not go lower. It's not like the scores'''marry''..

I wouldn't marry him because he's proven he cannot handle finances.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:42 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• No, he definitely hates paying bills. I've made him pay every one of ours for the past 5 years though- and he has.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 5:43 PM on Aug. 30, 2012