Is it ok to buy gifts second hand?

I sometimes buy gifts from second hand stores, garage sales etc. When my mom finds out I've done that she has a fit. I'm lectured about how tacky it is. I don't do it all the time, just when I'm already there and see something that's practically new and know someone who would love it. I'll buy it and store it for a birthday, christmas or other gift and it's usually in addition to other things I get for that person. Am I tacky?

Keni-Lyn

Asked by Keni-Lyn at 7:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2012 in Shopping

• I wouldn't want that for my birthday. Unless it was something I've wanted and they don't make it anymore. Like if someone found me an old school vanity or a emerald green blazer like I've been looking for. I'd never like it for my birthday though. I think it's extremely tacky.
    SaraD1989

Answer by SaraD1989 at 7:36 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• not if its something you know they'd like or need. nothing wrong with it, especially if its nearly new and looks great!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:36 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Depends on how picky the person is. I don't care at all if something is used if I will like it. For birthdays and christmas i shop the extreme clearance racks year round and have a box in the closet of new stuff i picked up cheap- then just distribute it.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:39 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• No, if I see something I know a friend/family member would love, and it is in good condition I do the same. Sorry, I don't have much money, so if I find something I know they would like for cheap, I am going to get it for them.

It's better than getting a box full of stained clothes from Goodwill for a birthday (which is what my sister sent my daughter for her birthday), not 1 unstained thing in the box. Then she got upset that I bought her son the cheaper Thomas the Train, than what I originally planned on getting him. THAT is tacky.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:41 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• IMO it's only tacky if you make it known to anyone at any point that it's a 2nd hand item.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 7:41 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Unless it has the tags on it or it is still wrapped, it is tacky to give as a gift for a birthday or Christmas or any other occasion gift. Now if you bought it and gave it as a "saw this and thought of you' gift, it would be fine.

Unless, as SaraD said, it was something you could only buy used.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:43 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• I agree with dull^^^. There are some people that love to collect things that are no longer available. That's an excellent way to do it. Or, if something's in great condition, and it has a potential use, why not?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:45 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• I agree with layh41407 completely.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:45 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• I don't know, I think it depends on the person, the item and the circumstances. You have to know the person REALLY well and know that they are comfortable with this to do this.

If I'm on a budget for a gift, I either give a small gift card or smaller gift, make something, or try to find something on sale. I have 'regifted' items I received, but weren't right for me, and given them to someone I thought would enjoy them. I've never given a used item for a gift for a special occasion.

The only time I might do that, is if it's a large item the person wanted....like say, a dining set for my son, that would be in my budget.

Now, I have picked up used items a thought a friend or family member would like and given it to them for no reason, but not for a birthday or special occasion.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Wow, I never realized people were so materialistic. Can't you just be grateful that someone was thoughtful and got you something they thought you would like, who cares if it doesn't have tags on it? Do you not realize that some people cannot afford to buy all new gifts for everyone? I am always appreciative of any gift that someone gives us, whether from a garage sale (which most of it is) or brand new. I don't find it tacky at all. Half our children's clothes are from our parents, and were found at garage sales. Personally I would rather our parents only spend $10 on a whole box of clothes for our kids than $25 on one outfit.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2012