Is it ok to buy gifts second hand?

I sometimes buy gifts from second hand stores, garage sales etc. When my mom finds out I've done that she has a fit. I'm lectured about how tacky it is. I don't do it all the time, just when I'm already there and see something that's practically new and know someone who would love it. I'll buy it and store it for a birthday, christmas or other gift and it's usually in addition to other things I get for that person. Am I tacky?

Keni-Lyn

Asked by Keni-Lyn at 7:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2012 in Shopping

• ok so I would not buy second hand for a kid I have never met- like a classmate... but my family and friends? I would totally buy good condition second hand items. WE have a a HUGE consignment sale twice a year that sells NICE things. I have picked up great books in fabulous condition for my best friends kids for $1 each. Or I got my mother a sock monkey style teddy bear for her collection there.

I am not saying I would pick up a broken batman toy or a stained doll but good looking, nice things. YES! and I would be fine to receive them as well.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:00 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Theres no reason to announce its second hand, and even if it comes out, oh well. I was raised to be greatful for anything and everything. "Its the thought that counts". I'm trying to instill that in my children as well. They're made to thank everyone for every gift they recieve. Even if they dont like it, or its cheap, or they already have one...they're still taught to appreciate it.
    toughluck08

Answer by toughluck08 at 8:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• toughluck08...I absolutely agree with that!! We all need to be gracious receivers. Personally I don't give used gifts for special occasions, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't appreciate a thoughtfully picked used gift...in fact sometimes more thought has been put into a used gift than a new gift.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:20 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Toughluck and Ohwrite, you ladies are so right! Even when I opened the box full of stained clothes for DD, I was still grateful. We use them as PJs, no big deal, she needs PJs anyways. I was grateful up until her reaction of the brand new toy I bought my nephew for his birthday, because it wasn't the more expensive one. That pisses me off, in my opinion, it is tacky to expect expensive gifts. I would rather not get someone anything than to have them act like that about a gift.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 8:26 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• If someone gave me or my children a used gift, I wouldn't say anything about it and would not feel weird accepting it, but it is something I would never do unless the item was an antique or something of value that I knew the person was looking for.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• depends who you are shopping for
    my family very cool with this, we were not raised to value price or newness over thought and usefulness

others (many others) would not be ok with this

in my family almost a game to find free things and reuse
    my older sis has two girls (they are well off) but- she raised them with values she learned and they both (18 and 15 yr old girls) wanted T shirts
    and sis said go to goodwill and find some vintage T shirts, i did, and both girls loved them
    no secrets in my family

younger sis shops at loal thrift store that has buck a bag twice a year to clear out store, she always asks what size my daughter will be next season, and she brings bags of clothes down when she visits

all good in my family
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:24 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• No
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 10:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• I do it. If that makes me tacky then so be it. It's usually something the person mentioned they'd like to have. I don't just pick up second hand things randomly.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:45 AM on Aug. 31, 2012

• The tacky part is telling anyone its second hand.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:48 PM on Aug. 31, 2012

• heck no
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 12:26 AM on Sep. 2, 2012