Can you have a baby shower for your second child?

Or is it just for the first

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• To me the purpose of a baby shower is to celebrate a new (or not-quite-here-yet) baby. So have one for baby #2, or #3 or #... I mean celebrate that new life. A baby shower doesn't have to mean registering for a $200 stroller or designer baby clothes or all the little baby gadgets. Get together with friends and family, the new baby will get some new clothes, blankets, whatever and your friends and family will get to share your happiness and excitement about your newest family member.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:18 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• girl, i wouldn't care how many babies i had.... each one deserves a shower
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 11:39 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Depends I would say if its a different sex and it's been awhile since you had your first I would say yes I have a 17month old & pregnant again & I dont expect to have one I would feel funny
    Anonymous

• why the hell not!?
    Anonymous

• If someone wants to throw you a shower, why wouldn't you let them? I had two girls 2 years and 9 months apart. I saved all of my older ones baby clothes, but her sister was a bigger baby born in a different season. There were only a few "hand-me-downs" of her sister's that she was able to wear. My friend and sister threw me one for my second and I really appreciated it!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 11:59 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I have 3 children and had showers with them ALL. I actually was thrown 3 different showers my last pregnancy. I guess people view baby showers differently but I think it's a celebration of the baby on the way, why not celebrate each one?
    tisha78

Answer by tisha78 at 12:16 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• supposibly It's baby shower etiquette to just ahve it for the first child but I had baby showers for both my pregnancy's and I'm planning on having one for these babies (twins) They are the first in both of our family's and there both very excited about it!. A small one but I'm planning on it!
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 12:23 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• It's really "supposedly"...

but i feel EVERY baby deserves to be celebrated! every baby is a blessing in its own, and deserves some of his/her own NEW things! Remember, baby will ALWAYS have hand-me-downs from big sister, cousins, other friends and family, etc.

if you don't want to have a "shower"... have a "Welcome to the Family" party for baby once he/she arrives! Have a bbq, or roast weenies, make it a potluck, and welcome gifts and gift cards!

EVERY BABY IS SPECIAL!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I do not think a shower should be expected for each baby. Especially someone who has several children in only a few years. How ridiculous to expect others to pay for the things you need for your third or fourth child. You should be well beyond relying on others by that point or else do not have any more children until ready. That is just how I see it. Now having a party to celebrate baby is different, but an actual all out baby shower, with a registry......I feel guilty enough putting all this expensive stuff on my own registry last week for my first baby. Family and friends will obviously get a gift for a new baby when coming to see, but they should not be expected each time. But hey, I have a large family n I know thats how many people feel. I have seen exceptions to this when someone has a child down the road with a different man, which is party a different family and so I would not find that odd at all.To each his own tho!
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 12:41 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I have a 2 year old daughter and we saved ALL of her baby stuff...down to the little 50 cent wash cloths. Guess what, this one is a boy! I didn't ask for a shower but my aunt wanted to throw me one. People in our family were so excited that it was a boy they all wanted to buy gifts anyway. Etiquette technically does dictate a shower for only the first baby, but these are different times then when that really applied. I don't think it is uncommon at all to have mulitiple showers. If you are uncomfortable with the idea, go with what the previous poster said...have a welcome baby party so that people can meet the new little one but there aren't the same expectations of a baby shower. Congrats!
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 1:36 AM on Feb. 6, 2009