what's babywise?

I'm due any day now and I hear alot about babywise when it comes to BF. what is it all about?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I read Babywise bc a friend of mine recommended it. It's basically a plan to help baby sleep through the night by regulating their feeding schedules. The main problem that I saw with this book was how militant the author was about saying that his way was the only correct way. He goes as far to say that feeding your child on demand (like the AAP recommends) will turn them into a spoiled brat. The book also advocates the cry-it-out method, which is something I am not comfortable with. I know some people swear by it, but it never felt right to leave my son to cry himself to sleep in order to "teach him to soothe himself." If you are interested in CIO, I recommend reading up on it and following the guidelines of the people who came up with it (Ferber) - they do NOT recommend it with small babies (under 6 months). I much prefer the Sears method. www.askdrsear.com has tons of great info that has been helpful for us.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 4:14 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• It's a book about parent directed feeding which is a mix between schedule feeding and demand feeding. It encourages the parent to set a routine with the hopes of having your baby sleep through the night by 8 weeks (which mine did thanks to the routine). It teaches the eat/wake/sleep cycle. I totally recommend it. I haven't read many books but this one helped SO much, and all my friends have loved it too!

While it encourages breast feeding it's not only for mothers who choose to breast feed.

Look it up on amazon and you could probably find it for pretty cheap.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 12:42 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I also recomend Babywise!
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 12:45 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!... if you want TRUE information about babywise, go to the breastfeeding group and ask about it THERE. BABYWISE MAKES FOR STARVING BABIES!!!!!

I havent heard of ONE mother who was able to continue breastfeeding while using babywise.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Here I found this site. Check it out, seriously.

http://www.ezzo.info/feeding.htm
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 12:52 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Breastfeeding on a parent-determined schedule (including a "flexible routine" as it is called in Babywise) may reduce a mother's milk supply and contradicts the recommendations of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), which has stated, "The best feeding schedules are the ones babies design themselves. Scheduled feedings designed by parents may put babies at risk for poor weight gain and dehydration."
    kate_jocelyn

• Babywise is written by people who are NOT babywise...

Read The Baby Book by Dr. Sears, who also has The Breastfeeding Book.

I'd also suggest The Nursing Mother's Companion.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 2:16 AM on Feb. 6, 2009