3 yr old w 103 fever.. please help!

He has had febrile seizures at 104.
around 8 he was given tylenol. It went down and now its back up to 103. He is also shivering. Should I keep him bundled up? Should I give him motrin?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I personally would take him in to be seen, but if you do not want to do this just yet, here are some tips my dr. gave me:

Give Motrin and Tylenol alternating every 3-4 hours. Motrin, then 3-4 hours later Tylenol, then 3-4 hours later more Motrin. If the fever doesn't go down, go to the ER. Keep him covered with a light sheet, not a heavy blanket. Just enough to keep him from shivering. You can try a tepid bath, but it may make him feel cold. Keep giving him water every 20-30 minutes to keep him hydrated. If he falls asleep, try to wake him every 30 minutes or so to make sure he is still okay. But if the fever doesn't go down, or if he has a seizure, go in to the ER IMMEDIATELY it can cause permanent damage if it's not treated properly and you don't know the underlying cause of the fever.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:11 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I would give him the motrin, And take him in if he has seizures @ 104, has he been sick or have his ears been bothering him
    MrsCarlton

Answer by MrsCarlton at 12:39 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I would take him to the ER NOW!!! Thats a high fever
    mommatime78

Answer by mommatime78 at 1:22 AM on Feb. 6, 2009