is anyone experiencing undeserved guilt caused by bias and stereotyping?

i swear, sometimes i am afraid to speak my mind about our president's policies in certain company because i am caucasion, to avoid getting slapped with the racist or bigot card. its been happening to me frequently, and i always feel relieved whenever i come across a person of color who did not vote for Obama, disapproves of his policies, and points out the lunacy of his "historical" election. to the momma's who may feel offended by my comments, oh well, that's your right. for the momma's who know where i'm coming from, please feel free to share your experiences.

chickenhobbit

Asked by chickenhobbit at 1:15 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Questioning our new President's policies and disagreeing with him, does not make you racist and no one in their right mind would think that. I think you thinking that people are going to think you are racist is focusing on the whole black/white thing. Hes our president, hes a man, you have the right to disagree with whatever you disagree with. If someone throws the race card at you, well then that just shows their immaturity and ignorance. No one threw the race card around when black people disagreed with Bush. Try not to worry about offending people. This is the year 2009.. people need to grow up, put their big boy or girl panties on and stop using the race card.

xtina34

Answer by xtina34 at 1:24 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I love the fact that I can agree or disagree with anything I feel like and I don't get murdered over it like in other countries. I voted for Obama but I am not one of those people that chooses to argue and say "This President is better then that President". I voted, it was counted, I did my duty as an American citizen. The rest is up the the politicians and the courts.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:37 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Oddly enough, the absolute only place I see people called racist for not liking Obama is here, and 90% of the time, it's from anonymous posters, so nothing to feel guilty about. At best it's the constant annoyance of exposure to severely ignorant people creating drama, but there's all kinds of those - the race baiters, the where's my stimulus check people, and the he won get over it political newbies who just don't have the first clue.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:00 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I gave up dealing with it, I'm white, but my daughter is black. I don't take that kind of talk, and I do report it. If you want to speak your mind fine, but the minute you disrespect me or my daughter about race, I will report it.. I didn't vote for Obama, and yet those anon out there call me racist for it. I will not tolerate, that because of my political choice, being called names. So if you want to try that card on me fine, I will report it. I am willing to debate any other subject, but race is not a subject I will be bashed about.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:15 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• It's the only defense they have to our argument about the issues. Why? Because they didn't stdy up on the issues. So we fight his plans for Big Government and his Entitlement Spending Frenzy. We discuss the issues, and we bring up links and Current Event Issues that are actually going on.
    Perhaps we do not like our tax payers money going to fund illegal healthcare, education, etc...
    They don't have a defense, so they say stuff like, "He has only been in office for 2 weeks", You all are bitter, and the ones who really do not have a debatable argument, throw out the racist card. Whoopi Goldberg and Sean Hannity talked about similar stuff this last night and she agreed.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:13 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• And yes, I only see it on Cafemom and usually by anonymous posters.

My diverse group of friends who voted for Obama, McCain, even others... We have the same discussions with the same passion and don't make it personal. But on CM? Not so much..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:19 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My only question for you is why *historical*?? How is his election NOT historical??

And why would you feel guilty over something you feel to be an untrue statement about yourself?If someone makes an assumption about me that I feel is incorrect- I don't give it another thought. Words only have the power we give them. fuck is not a bad word- people give it that power.

If someone calls you racist and you aren't- then it should maybe anger you- not create feelings of guilt...
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 8:31 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• If someone calls you racist and you aren't- then it should maybe anger you- not create feelings of guilt...

True. I say don't give some Anon the joy of letting it bother you. If they have no defense to dicuss the issues other than to throw the race card. That is their problem, not yours.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:43 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• This has been happening not only here but on other sites as well and off the web too.Honestly,I don't care all it is is a tactic of manipulation.Think about it...it's true.There is bandwagon some libs have jumped onto this is part of that bandwagon.....of trying to trash conservatives.

No reason at all to stop discussing the issues and whats on our minds.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:44 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Oh I agree OP! I have been called a ton of volatile names because I oppose NObama and his policies! The race card is ALWAYS used and it is HORRIBLE! The late GREAT Martin Luther King Jr. said that we aren't to judge a man by the color of his skin, but by his character! YET when you do that with NObama, you are automatically a racist! Actually, MLK Jr.'s teachings and according to his beliefs, he himself most likely wouldn't have voted for NObama! NObama stands for everything MLK Jr. was against! How about turning the tables and say that all those that opposed McCain or Bush or Palin..........aren't they all racist as well? Am I racist for going against NObama.......he is 50% Caucasian, so am I being racist against my own race? 

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 9:52 AM on Feb. 6, 2009