bronchitis...

I took my baby to the dr. and he said that my son had a cropping cough like it was bronchitis.He put him on antibiotics.Its been 3 days since he's been on them, but know he sounds a lil wheezy like he has phlem in his chest(which i know he probablly does)My Quest. is... is that a sign it could be getting worse?Could it turn into pneumonia?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• In babies that young its likely RSV now watch there chest and if it caves when he breathe take them in, How old is your little one?
    MrsCarlton

Answer by MrsCarlton at 1:21 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• he is 11mths old.How dangerous is RSV?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• It's possible it's turned into broncholitis which is further into the lungs. If he does not have a fever and does not act worse then it is doubtfully RSV or pneumonia. My son had broncholitis for 2 weeks and they only gave him an inhaler because it is a virus.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• RSV can kill kids under 1 not to Scare you but it can my daughter was in the hospital for 5 days because of it, Are you sucking his nose and using the saline drops?
    MrsCarlton

Answer by MrsCarlton at 1:24 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• RSV does not Present with a Fever they only will get a Fever is an Ear infection is involved, And Her son already has bronchitis she is worried he's going to get pneumonia did you even read the Question Anonymous, And if you kid did get an inhaler I'm sure your kid is over one since they don't give them to under age kids
    MrsCarlton

Answer by MrsCarlton at 1:27 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I was also wondering about this..the dr. said his blood count is good. Does that mark out the chances of it being rsv?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My daughters doctor said the only way to know for sure that it isn't RVS is to test the Mucus from the nose for infection, If your son is wheezy I would take him back in, The first doctor that seen my daughter Told me she just had a common cold 4 days later I took her back in and they transported her to the Children's hospital in an ambulance .Its not worth risk get him checked Again
    MrsCarlton

Answer by MrsCarlton at 1:34 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• take him abck in if you are worried. my son had RSV, influenzia, pneumonia, bronchitis, etc... the first winter. ugh! awful, but this winter he is soooooo much better. it was a nervewracking winter last year... the rsv test isnt all that bad...
    kelinnh

Answer by kelinnh at 1:51 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• If it was RSV or pneumonia then his oxygen levels would be decreased. MrsCarlton is scaring you. Call your pediatrician in the morning. If he has no other symptoms, is not gasping for breath, chest caving in, etc then they will tell you to bring him in to be checked not an ER situation
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Bronchitis is inflammation in the broncial tubes and is caused by a virus. No anitiotics.

Croup is a nasty cold virus that settles in the throat...no antibiotics.

Bronchiolitis is another virus...no anitbiotics. (and inhalers don't work for it either)

RSV is another nasty cold virus...no antibiotics.

Why did the doctor give him antibiotics? Was there an ear infection?

Any of these things can have a fever present. They don't always, though.

Bronchiolitis and RSV sometimes go hand in hand...but not always.

Testing the mucous in the nose for RSV is the "quick test" and is not always accurate. If they are just starting with RSV, the mucous test may show negative one day and positive the next.

Oxygen levels MAY be decreased if it is RSV or pneumonia if it is severe enough to be affecting his breathing.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:36 AM on Feb. 6, 2009