How many parents let their 6th graders have Facebook?

My 11 1/2 year old daughter begs us for a facebook page, and we tell her not until she's older. The rules on Facebook,btw are 13 and up. How many of you that have 11-12 year olds let them have Facebook? She claims all the kids have one. We don't think she needs one, and are not going to, but sometimes with all her convincing and begging I f ind myself wondering what other parents of Tweens think about the subject.

mountainMum

Asked by mountainMum at 5:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2012 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son is 10 and has been asking for one. I've said no, so far.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2012

• Not us. Socila media and middle schoolers is a perfect recipe for cyer bullying. When my boys got social media pages I had their passwords and was oon their friends lists. I had to put out several fires that wouyld have been seriously out of control without monitoring. Once my son said "Do you still have to be on my friends list? My reply "Why? What you you doing, saying, posting, or friends with that I wouldn't approve?" He said "nothing" and I told him when he was grown, on his own computer and paying his own bills he could do whatever he pleased. While in my house using my computer and paying no bills, NO, I will monitor.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2012

• No way.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 5:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2012

• Iam not one for the arbitratry rules. I am more of a when you are responsible enough etc. Each child is different. I do not believe face book is a good idea. My 6th grade DGS does not have one and he will not at 13 either. But that is me and that is him. Since 6th grade is when they switch to another school, I can understand that some parents might feel that if they are in middle school they are ready.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Aug. 31, 2012

• Nope. She hasn't asked yet. But nope.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2012

• My sister probably had one. She's 14 now and has 1,500 friends... I'm 26 and I have 99. But I don't add everyone and their brother!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:10 PM on Aug. 31, 2012

• I just gave in and let my 13 year old get one. My 11 year old, no way.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 6:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2012

• My son was 11. All his friends had it. I went on every day and checked it. It was just a social outlet, they were cute really, ah the good old days. Now he's 17, not so cute, but I still check it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2012

• my 10 year old has one and has for over a year so she got it when she was 9. She only has people she goes to school with and I met most of them. She is very responsible for her age. She had one before her almost 15 yr old sister did!
    ansley3

Answer by ansley3 at 10:21 PM on Aug. 31, 2012

• No, I personaly think even 13 is too young. No 11 year old (much less any 9 year old) Is mature enough for the crap that they have no idea can get started on there.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 7:39 AM on Sep. 1, 2012