its my mother-in-law... am i overreacting?

ok so my mother in law has been around for a couple of years now. and ever since i had my dd. she thinks she knows it all and tries to tell me what to do. i HATE it! and ive tried to put my foot down with her and she still demands that we "do it this way/or that way" UGH i cant stand her!!!! shes so nosey . She loves to get on my nerves on purpose. she thinks its funny to piss me off. For example she was on speaker phone the other day talking to my dd.(which is 5 months old) and she said "when i come down to visit, im gonna take u shopping and your mommy and daddy can NOT come" she knew i was right there listening... it made me so mad.
i try not to let her get to me. and when i show that she doesnt. she still picks at me just to irritate me more. am i overreacting or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• tell her to stay away for awhile so atleast she has time to think about it! and you a break!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 1:38 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• she lives in a different state. .... i didnt mention the fact that she wanted us to move in with her!!!! i literally had anxiety attacks over it. the thought of her always being around!! ahhhh
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• If she lives in a different state she cant make you do anything with your children you dont want to, i would just ignore it, she loves your reactions and yuur feeding it by reacting.

If she comes to town and wants to take the kids shopping i dont see the big deal, i let my MIL and my mom do it . my MIL and i do not like each other, grandparents want to spoil the kids let them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• hell no dont go!
    dont answer her calls for a week.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 1:51 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Ignore her and all her crap, I kinda go through the same thing with my So's mom being nosey with what I do with our son, who is also five months old and it drives me nuts, whats worse is we live with her right now so there is no getting away for me, one day I even told my SO that his mom was driving me nuts and he said he knows she does it to him too, so just ignore it and if she is that far away then she really cannot force you to do anything with your baby that you dont want to
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 1:57 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I can't stand mine. she is two faced. i would smack her if i had the chance!! lol
    If she makes me mad, then I ignore her calls. She thinks my phone is messed up, but I just ignore her calls a lot. It sounds bad, but its not like she calls to talk to our kids. they draw her pictures and we mail them to her (dif. states) and then we don't hear from her in like two weeks. When we lived with her (while hub. was in boot) it was horrible. I didn't hang out there to often. I got lucky and she got a b/f and stayed away alot! haha but. . .i totally understand what your sayin. Just show her that you can distance yourself and if she doesn't like it then make her realize what she is doing. GOOD LUCK!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I think I just had an anxiety attack for you!!!
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:36 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Seriously - control freak much? Put your foot down - and keep it there. She needs to know that YOU are the Mom and you will do things YOUR WAY. Let her suggestions/demands about how your raise your kids go in one ear and out the other. There is no reason for MIL to take a 5 month old shopping w/out the parents - she's just talking crazy. She had her chance to be "mommy" now its your turn. MIL sounds like she needs to learn some boundaries. What does your husband say?
    Fooph121780

Answer by Fooph121780 at 7:43 AM on Feb. 6, 2009