About religion

ok I went to church for 2 years. it helped with my depression! but after a series in february i stoped going because I had/have sooo many questions. Now alot of people are asking for prayers and I have had some people loose loved ones. I want to "pray" for these people because Im not sure what i believe in. I believe there is some higher power out there I just dont know what! HELP!!! any articals or anything online that I could read would be helpful

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Aug. 31, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Quizzes/BeliefOMatic.aspx  

Seriously give that a try... it will give you ideas of what to look in to!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2012

• pray to whatever or whomever makes sense to you. when you think about that higher power - what is it, or is it mystery? i actually used to lead an adult group designed to help people uncover what it is they believe based on reviewing many areas of your thoughts and experiences. very enlightening and not focused on one particular religion, works for all, including if you are atheist and want to explore your personal spiritual philosophy.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2012

• t has me even more confused!

The point of that quiz is to direct you towards different religions that are in line with what you already believe, so you can further research them yourself. There are literally thousands of religions and denominations of religions. There is no single source to research them all. You can start browsing texts at http://www.sacred-texts.com/ , but it would probably be more efficient if you stick to researching the top 3 to 5 results you got from that quiz.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:00 PM on Aug. 31, 2012

• Start where ever you are and just start reading. There is no magic article it's a life long journey. Go to the library and check out books in different areas that give different perspectives. For me writings by St. Ignace were very helpful.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:25 PM on Aug. 31, 2012

•  Joyce Meyer is wonderful.  She's down to Earth & makes everything make sense.  Try listening to her sermons, tapes or reading her books.  She helped me thru some difficult times.  GL :)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on Aug. 31, 2012

• "I prayed and prayed for months for a sign that god was real and nothing."

and you wont get a sign...at least not one that is obvious & finite & tangible. faith can't work that way, otherwise it would be knowledge, not belief. and believing in God doesnt have to be the Judeo-Christian version of God...there are thousands of versions of God(s)!

im a big fan of the beliefs quiz, even tho my current beliefs on God arent included in it. its just a starting point...it makes you ask yourself some of the harder questions so you have to really think about what you believe and how strongly you believe it. ive gotten different results numerous times over the years and its not going to flat out tell you "this is what you should believe". its just a guide. you cant force this, its a journey and it may take a few days or it may take years. i wish you luck!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:13 AM on Sep. 1, 2012

• I'll be happy to share the stuff from this curriculum if you like - everyone has found it extremely helpful and powerful in their own lives that has used it. I also have a little exercise I can share with you based on the medicine wheel that also really helps flesh alot of it out. I had always felt God of some kind as a child but I grew up with atheists as parents, so I did ALOT of exploring. In my case, after years of basically gathering information and trying to understand when compared to my personal experiences and things I just "knew" I felt that it wasn't making much difference to me because until I actually learned to use it as a guide for living, including relationships, problem-solving, awareness, goal setting. Feel free to PM me if you are interested in any of it. Some of it I have online here in a group that is not active. I can post as much as you will use.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:26 AM on Sep. 1, 2012

• I would start by reading the first five books of the New Testament. If you want to PM me, I can send you some links to good websites.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:49 PM on Sep. 1, 2012

• I tried that quiz! what a joke! it has me even more confused! and as far as the higher power I guess it could be a god of sorts but could be a mystery
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2012

• but the one that it picked for me said I believed in god, that was the hole reason of this. I prayed and prayed for months for a sign that god was real and nothing. I had people tell me maybe you werent praying right? there is no right or wrong way to pray from what I understood. Im a see it to believe it person, maybe thats my problem?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2012