What does the teacher want?

My daughter came home with an unfinished addition paper. The paper was in the "leave at home" side of her folder and had what looked like a zero on it. The paper had no note attached. The problems she completed were correct. She is in first grade and has trouble writing her numbers (she receives special ed).

What should I do?

Thanks!

CSJMommy3

Asked by CSJMommy3 at 9:24 PM on Aug. 31, 2012 in

• It sounds like she just sent it home for you to see. Ask your daughter if it was a timed assignment.

You could have her complete it and send it back with a note, but I doubt if the teacher is expecting it.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:28 PM on Aug. 31, 2012

• It looks to me as though this was an asignment in school and your daughter did not complete it. Some teachers will give a zero for non
    completion. Since she receives special classes Iam assuming she is not strictly in the special ed class. Either way I suggest you go to the teacherfor an explaination and if necessary to remind her that she has an IEP.
    In any case I would and did have my child complete the paper even if they would not get credit. It is a mater of practice and of instilling that no matter what you are still going to do the work.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:35 PM on Aug. 31, 2012

• Sounds like the teacher graded it and sent it home, either because she sends all graded assignments home or she wanted you to see it. If it was in the leave at home side, I'd take that to mean you don't need to return it. Personally, I would have my child finish it, not to return it but just to 1. ensure she is learning the material, and 2. to instill the message that she needs to fully complete her assignments. I wouldn't be harsh about it, just a little chat that when an assignment's made, she needs to finish it and sit there with her while she does it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2012

• I would just write a note or stop by and see your daughter's teacher and ask her to give you a little more information on the assignment. I don't think you need to remind the teacher your daughter has an IEP though as Dardenella suggested. I'm guessing that you've already had a meeting this year to set up your daughter's plan right? Anyway, I think your best bet is just to stick a note on the assignment asking for further explanation.
    brittcw87

Answer by brittcw87 at 11:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2012

• It sounds like you need to contact the teacher and find out.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:32 AM on Sep. 1, 2012

• It's just to let you know how your dd is doing.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:43 PM on Sep. 1, 2012

• I'd have her do it any way, send it back to school with a note and shoot the teacher an email, if you don't get a satisfactory response then call an IEP updated meeting
    Keni-Lyn

Answer by Keni-Lyn at 1:26 AM on Sep. 4, 2012

Next question in
Is this out of line

Next question overall (Shopping)
Hello Kitty....