I just want to poop normally again. what more can i possibly do??

i'm so tired of regular constipation. i NEVER got constipated before pregnancy, not even occasionally. it's the worst feeling in the world feeling backed up. it's almost midnight here and i just had to walk to the store to buy myself an organic enema because i just couldn't take it anymore. i feel so much better but i don't want to have to live off enema's because it weakens the muscles that help you poop. i drink about 90+ ounces of plain water a day (no other drinks) and i weight 100 lbs so thats almost my entire body weight in ounces of water, i exercise regularly, i eat a large variety of high fiber foods daily. always have lots of raw veggies. i don't even touch junk food. my diet is completely balanced. i even started eating those Metamucil cookies and those don't even help. what more can i possibly do? i can't go 5 more months with regular constipation. all the doc says is "eat more fiber" but i couldn't possibly eat more fiber, i have the highest fiber diet ever and it does nothing...help please

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Sep. 1, 2012 in Pregnancy

• molasses, honey can help as can increasing the amount of good oils in your diet. Olive oil, avocado... Also probitotics may help balance things out.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:54 AM on Sep. 1, 2012

• also decalf coffee can help.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:55 AM on Sep. 1, 2012

• And see a different doctor.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:08 AM on Sep. 1, 2012

• eat lots of fruit - especially some fresh cherries and watermelon.....both of those affect most people I know, including myself and my children, especially the watermelon - eat it generously for breakfast, lunch and supper and by the next day you should be going....I know some people who get diarrhea from eating dried apricots, so maybe those might help you to move as well.....

stay away from red meat (beef, etc...) and most dairy !!!!! Get your calcium instead from leafy green veggies....yogurt is one dairy option that is good because it's fermented, so if you can tolerate yogurt, then replace your milk intake with yogurt !

also, are you supplementing with vitamins??? they can cause constipation too !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 6:47 AM on Sep. 1, 2012

• Start eating a lot of whole grains, farro, quinoa, wheat berries are great. Sweet potatoes are loaded with fiber and should get you going. I also lived on prunes and prune juice. My doctor also told me Colace is also ok to take. It's a stool softener and will help.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 7:48 AM on Sep. 1, 2012

• You might need a stool softener... for me it was coffee... I could drink on cup and it would make me have to go. My mom swore by walnuts... good luck... that's no fun!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:49 AM on Sep. 1, 2012

• Too much fiber can have the same effect as not enough fiber - maybe you're fiber intake is TOO high. I also suggest stool softeners.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 11:20 AM on Sep. 1, 2012

• Take a stool softener at bedtime with a glass of warm water and try in the morning.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 3:17 PM on Sep. 1, 2012