Rsv ?

ok I know i already asked a ? about bronchitis, but now i'm a lil scared it could be Rsv.My son is 11 mths old.The dr said he had a cropping cough like bronchitis.He is on antibiotics, but the dr didnt seem worried, because gis blood count is good.Does that exclude the possibility of Rsv?Should I be worried? He sounds wheezy kinda like he needs to cough that phlem up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• If you don't have a humidifier or a nebulizer, go in your bathroom with the baby, shut the door, open your shower door/curtain and turn the shower on with hot water only. Let the room fill with steam and sit near the shower with the baby for about 10 minutes breathing in the steam. You will get sweaty, but it will open up his lungs and help him cough up the phlegm. Do this periodically throughout the night and day.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 1:43 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• How long has it been since he was sick and began his antibiotics? I ask because it normally takes about 1-2 weeks to recover from RSV. Have you tried some over the counter cough medicine for while the antibiotics are getting in his system. I have found Tylenol plus works really well for coughs.
    mommatime78

Answer by mommatime78 at 1:44 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• he started getting sick on sun.and he started his antibiotics on tue.Do think it could be RSV?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• It sounds like you are a little scared, and that is ok. I have 3 kids and have been through this myself with all 3 of them. I really think if you try the steam shower you will see how it will help him breathe better and make the cough more productive. Just give it a try and try to relax. You and your baby will be ok. The steam is really good, and is not medicinal. Just give it a try and see how you both feel.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 1:50 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Antibiotics aren't going to do anything for bronchitis or for RSV if it is that. Antibiotics don't do anything for a virus!!

Could he have RSV? Sure. It's a nasty cold virus. It presents just like a cold. It spreads just like a cold.

This is the second time I've read this question (left three answers on your other one because of the stupid character limits here) I'm still unsure why a doctor would give antibiotics for bronchitis (inflammation of the bronchial tubes) and have no clue what a "cropping" cough is. (Croup? If so...another virus and antibiotics won't do anything)

You're worried..take him back in. And find out what he was given antibiotics for....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:53 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I would take him into to be seen. My daughter was hospitalized for RSV for five days. Although TiccledBlue is right, they can't treat it with antibiotics, your child can have breathing treatments and oxygen which can help.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 9:11 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My son was also hospitalized for RSV and we were there for a week, they had him in a tent over his crib and constantly gave him oxygen and seriously monitored his breathing. He was only a month old when this happened though. They have a test they can do where they test for RSV, they swab your childs nose and test that somehow...I'd definately have it checked out.
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 9:31 AM on Feb. 6, 2009