Thyroid?

Here's a partial list of my symptoms:
Fatigue
General aches all over all the time
Dry itchy skin
Brittle dry hair and nails
concentration and memory problems
feeling slow and sluggish
my eyebrows stopped growing (haven't waxed in 4 months - don't need to)
Weight gain (rapid - I was 116 in November, I'm 142 now)
Sleep problem (can't fall asleep, wake up and can't go back to sleep)
Excessive water retention (even though I'm drinking water by the loads)
Swelling in hands, feet, legs

My mom says thyroid.... my dr. appt is not for a few weeks. But mom says to start taking kelp now. Why kelp? And is does this sound like thyroid (particularly hypothyroidism)?

PaceMyself

Asked by PaceMyself at 1:48 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Health

• ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:41 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• You do have many symptoms of hypothyroidism. Good choice on seeing your physician. Do you have a cold intolerance? Meaning you stay cold a lot and are your menstrual cycles messed up? Keep your appointment (I'm sure you will). They can run a simple blood test and get answers for you. Hypothyroidism can be treated with a simple pill if that is all that is going on. I wish you the very best.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 2:01 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Yep.... I freeze all the time. Like right now. And my cycles are irregular. Early some months, late others and the flow is never consistent.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:04 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• You have the hallmark symptoms of Hypothyroidism. I would agree that is what is going on.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 2:14 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Yes, I take Synthoid . I had most symptoms you posted and I have hypothyroidism . it's good your going to your doctor . good luck!!
    mom4ever76

Answer by mom4ever76 at 9:02 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Those are the symptoms! I had hyper-thyroidism and a goiter. I had all the opposite symptoms you discribed. I had to have my thyroid removed. Your thyroid is a very "bloody" organ, so in order to safetly remove it the doc put me on thyroid supressants. I then experienced everything on your list and then some. I was sooooo cold all the time and my bood presure was in the basement. 40 degrees felt like -40 to me. I lost hair, my nails were brittle, I ached all over! I got fat and depressed and my periods were all screwed up. My hands and feet fell asleep all the time. People under estimate the major things in your body your thyroid glad regulates. Please PM me if you want and I will help you all I can.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:59 AM on Feb. 6, 2009