Adopting a puppy.

The person who has him now got him at six weeks (because people just don't listen to me EVER) and now, surprise surprise, she's too overwhelmed by the amount of attention he needs. I've offered to take him because I'm a SAHM and can be with him all day but I'm wondering how I can make up for not having his mama. I know mama and siblings would still be teaching him manners and how to socialize with other dogs right about now but how can I fill that need?

I know this puppy is too young to be away from mama but the breeder wouldn't take him back and if I don't take him, I'm afraid of who will. Please no bashing. I'm just trying to keep the little guy alive.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Sep. 1, 2012 in Pets

• feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:34 AM on Sep. 1, 2012

• Bless you... Do you a local animal shelter? Give then a call for tips.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 11:03 AM on Sep. 1, 2012

• Oh. Because I never thought of that. -_-

I know how to take care of the nutritional/physical needs this puppy has and that's all google results show me. I'm asking how to make up for his mama somehow.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:03 AM on Sep. 1, 2012

• Sassy Sue, I didn't think of that. I'll give them a call. :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:04 AM on Sep. 1, 2012

• If not the shelter,you can call a local vet. Dogs will and do adjust to not being with mama. You will teach the pup everything you want him to know. It will work out.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:15 PM on Sep. 1, 2012

• to keep him from crying at night? i'm not sure i understand what you mean by "making up for his mama". is he eating dog food? playing? as for keeping him calm at night, get a clock that makes a kind of loud ticking noise and wrap it in a banket, the sound is a lot like mom's heart beat and will help him calm down, give him a stuffed animal to sleep with too, it can help his anxiety
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:12 PM on Sep. 1, 2012

• If your concern is the socialization part I would start with dogs you know that are vaccinated and good with other dogs. I would not take him around to many dogs at this age because the puppy has not been vaccinated fully. But as he gets older I would get him out and around other dogs as much as possible. You should also do a lot of handling. Hold him on his back,especially if he really fights it. Get him used to having his feets and ears touched,

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 2, 2012

• get a big stuffed dog and cut a hole in the belly to stuff a bottle in so it thinks that's the mama, it'll sleep with it and everything, when it stops sucking on that bottle simply sew the hole and that will be it's favorite cuddler for life.
    Keni-Lyn

Answer by Keni-Lyn at 1:16 AM on Sep. 3, 2012