Have you lost pre-kid friends because of parenting differences?

My best friend growing up and I have totally lost touch because even though we were so close as kids up until our 20s, as soon as we became moms it became really difficult for us to hang out because suddenly our differences were magnified in our kids: she is a health nut, but I stood up for myself and my choice to treat myself now and then, but once we had kids and she started criticizing what I fed my child it was unbearable, same with different discipline styles and how much tv our kids watch, it all became a battle of trying to justify our decisions to each other. We debated about everything before we had kids with no hard feelings, but once the kids were involved it was personal.

Hollander

Asked by Hollander at 11:34 AM on Sep. 1, 2012 in Relationships

• The only pre-kid friend that I lost wasn't lost due to parenting styles. It was because she was the ONLY person who reacted negatively to my announcement of LĂ©onie's Down syndrome. She said "Oh shit, Winterglow". It went straight through my heart. I still see her but there's a wall between us .
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 11:50 AM on Sep. 1, 2012

• My pre-kid friends are no longer friends because they never had kids. Guess I was hanging with a no-kid-having group.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:37 PM on Sep. 1, 2012

• Yes and sometimes I've ignored friendships because my friends decided not to bother parenting at all and their kids were unbearable to be around and set a rotten example for mine. Today my kids are older and they choose not to hang out with difficult, spoiled kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Sep. 1, 2012

• i have lost a friend while pregnant in high school and i wasnt sure what her issue was with me but its still that today. I remember when i had a candle lit on my headboard and it lit my pillow on fire while making out with now hubby. he put it out with his hands and accidently hit my eye causing it to have a blood vessel pop out. I tried to explain to her but she was like "yeah right :/" she probably knew that i was pregnant with him at the time too.

i tried to add her on FB recently and she won't add me
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 1:23 PM on Sep. 1, 2012

• I have lost some due to the differences in parenting styles.
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 4:24 AM on Sep. 2, 2012