Alexander Maximus?

Having a little boy and this is what me and my s.o decided on, my m.i.l hates it. what do you think? my s.o says its "epic" lol

xdeviouskittyxx

Asked by xdeviouskittyxx at 6:48 PM on Sep. 1, 2012 in Baby Names

• It's a bit much.

Alexander Maxwell or Maxwell Alexander is nice & a little less historical drama "epic". :)
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:52 PM on Sep. 1, 2012

• I like it, and it is a very strong name. Who gives a flying fuck what MIL thinks? My mom wasn't sold on Bret when I told her that was what our son's name would be, but she knew it wasn't about her. His parents love it, because it was his brother's name.
    I have no idea how they felt about DD's name, because if they didn't like it, they never said anything. The only time our parents gave much input on names was when we didn't know if DS was a boy or a girl and we were trying to come up with a girl name. DH and I have problems agreeing on girl names so they were helping us come up with names, because we asked them to.
    You need to tell your MIL that this isn't about her, so while you accept her opinion, you are going to name your son a name of your choosing, not hers.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 6:53 PM on Sep. 1, 2012

• Having said that, I do agree with AF ^^^

No one in our families was fond of my youngest DD's name. But, now she's here & they all love her and identify her name with her.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2012

• I agree - F them. It's your baby. My mother didn't like my nephew's name (Quinn). It really upset my sister.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:02 PM on Sep. 1, 2012

• Oh good god.....
    Is he planning on becoming a Roman soldier?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:14 PM on Sep. 1, 2012

• I always see the nick names in long names like that. Alex Max. Those are the names he will be called. Not Alexander Maximus.

Answer by louise2 at 7:14 PM on Sep. 1, 2012

• I like it actually!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2012

• I like Alexander but Maximus sound too ancient Roman. What about Maximilian? I think it flows better, too.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 7:19 PM on Sep. 1, 2012

• Maximus always reminds me of gluteus maximus (the butt)

In addition, if kids know his middle name, it could be the butt (pun intended) of jokes. In addition to the 'butt' part, there is the fact that Maxi is in the name and could be used in a maxi pad joke.

I teach middle school and have gotten quite good at seeing this stuff coming from a mile away.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:35 PM on Sep. 1, 2012

• I like both names but I think it sounds better when switched around to Maximus Alexander.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 4:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2012