time for sippy cup? what age is just right?

my daughter is 14 months. should i start getting her off the bottle? and how is the best way? What cup is the best to switch to? HELP!!!

BMV020708

Asked by BMV020708 at 2:21 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son's absolute favorite cups are the Gerber ones with the hard spout or the nuby soft tip ones. He was 27 months before the bottle was gone because it was his security item. He started drinking out of the sippies though at about 9 months old but only water. He got to where he would drink everything from the sippy by about 18 months but would not sleep with out the bottle. What I ended up doing to completely get rid of it was just throw them away because I knew he could drink out of it. I would just leave sippy cups with water down where he could reach them while he played . Eventually he decided he liked drinking his water out of them. It did take some trial and error to find ones he liked. I would try a soft spout one to begin with because it is similar to the bottle nipple. Good luck and remember that she will get the hang of the sippy cup eventually. You just have to let her play with it so it gets familiar.

EtiesMommy

Answer by EtiesMommy at 5:30 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• NO SIPPY CUP AT ALL IS THE BEST PER DENTISTS EVERYWHERE. GO FROM A BOTTLE TO A STRAW IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. SIPPY CUPS ARE THE #1 LEADER IN CAVATIES IN TODDLERS!!
    boogirlsmommy

Answer by boogirlsmommy at 5:46 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• At her age, I'd go for a straw cup rather than a sippy cup. They have straw cups that don't spill...look for those.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:59 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I have never heard that boogirlsmommy. I would think the leading cause of cavities in toddlers would be drinking milk or juice in the middle of the night and/or not brushing teeth! I just don't see how a type of cup can cause a cavity. Yes, you can go to a straw cup, but my child's doctor wanted us to start getting him off the bottle and to a sippy cup (or straw) by 12 months. Some babies take longer, but I would say your child is at the right age to start. The Nuvy was the easiest for my son to start with. After about a month with the nuby cups, we went to a hard top one and now (16 months) he is OK with a straw cup, but usually drinks out of a hard top sippy cup. Good luck! Just keep trying....consistancy is the key!

Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:55 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I threw my son's bottles away at a 12 months. While he was in bed, I took EVERY ONE and threw them in the outside garbage (so he couldn't see them) and offered him the Nuby soft-spout sippy cup (got mine at Wal-Mart) At first he wasn't too fond of it, but he adjusted. I think the soft-spout helped- it's the same texture as a bottle nipple and sippy cups use the same sucking action. After he got used to the soft-spout we just started buying him regular sippy cups.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 8:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2009