how accurate is it when the dr tells you how much the baby weighs?

It doesnt seem like its accurate to me at all!

i asked my dr as he was measuring my belly and he feels my stomach on the sides then top and bottom and goes id say 7lbs....

doesnt seem accurate by ANY means... im also not that big at all.. i should be measuring 39 and im measuring 35 or 34....

so whats your opinion on this method? BS to me... and if your dr tod you the weight of your baby before, was it accurate if not how off was it?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:59 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• their never that accurate but the size of your belly doesnt matter my belly doesnt get big at all when im pregnant when i go to the hospital in labor they ask what im there for even the doctors were shocked they ran a bunch of tests throughout all my pregnancys but i had healthy girls weighing 6'6 6'11 then my youngest 6'7
    Have3Girls114

Answer by Have3Girls114 at 3:05 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Two days before I gave birth my doctor told me my DD was over 8.5 pounds...When I gave birth to her she was 7 lbs 5 oz. My doc was WAY off. They arent accurate cause it is just a guess, it can be thrown off by the position of the baby and other things like that.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 3:09 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My doctor told be an approximate weight by ultrasound, not by measuring and feeling my stomach. The day before I was induced, the doctor said that my son was about 9 1/2-10 lbs, but no bigger than that and it was safe for me to deliver vaginally. I wound up having to have a c-section and he weighed 11 lbs. 10 oz. = )

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:13 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Just a "guess"... My Dr. told me that my (first) Son was around 7 lbs. and he turned out to be 8 lbs. 11 oz.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• my doctor siad my baby was 6 puonds and he was really 5. they measure and give a calculated guess. but they have no real way of knowing
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 8:44 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My midwife did this in my last pregnancy and it was more accurate than any of the ultrasound predictions I've had. She said, the day I went into labor, that she'd guess 7 and a half pounds. He was EXACTLY 7 and a half pounds.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:10 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I was told with my first baby that she would be between 7-8 pounds and she was 7lbs 7oz. I had a different doctor with my second baby and he said about 7 1/2 pounds and she was 6lbs 13oz. I really dont think there is a way to tell. I think they all just guess and some just happen to right.
    YoungMomtoGirls

Answer by YoungMomtoGirls at 10:35 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• how big your stomach is does not matter. I looked maybe five months pregnant when I delivered my daughter and she was eight and a half pounds! The dr. guessed her at six by the way. lol, it's just more for the heck of it then any actual information.
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 6, 2009