How long does deli meat stay good in the fridge?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Just do the smell test.
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 4:02 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• DO NOT DO THE SMELL TEST! Just read an article about Deli Meats and Listeria... The recommended time frame is 5-7 days.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:16 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Read the date. But it also depends a little bit on when it is opened. But definitely read the date and I wouldn't reccomend eating it after the date. If it says sell by then you can eat it maybe a dat or so after that but again, it depends on when you opened it. If you had just opened it it would be ok most likely.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 8:11 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• For fresh deli meat?  I chunk it - no matter what - after a week!!

MamaDiane

Answer by MamaDiane at 8:41 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• i agree after a week i toss it. rather be safe then sorry. and next ime dh says hey can you get me a lb of..... i only get a 1/2 because he never finishes it lol.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:00 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I usually toss it when it smells strange or has a strong scent, and/or when it feels slick/wet/'slimy'.
    Live4HerSmile

Answer by Live4HerSmile at 9:34 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• i used to run a deli/bakery...we gave three days to all sliced meats, IMO five days is too long...i only buy the amount of meat i'm using that day to ensure freshness...
    Gemmi280

Answer by Gemmi280 at 9:37 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Sliced deli meat turns fairly fast. My boyfriend has been a deli manager for 10 years, and he says at most 3 days from purchase. That is, if bought from an actual deli. As far as the pre packaged stuff, like oscar meyer and what not, those last longer, but its mainly because of the vaccuum seal and the perservitives they use. Those also tend to have a sell by date, and also will tell you to use within 7 days of opening. Your best bet is to go to your local fresh deli and just buy enough to get you through the next couple days. Fresh is always best! :)
    sarah6183

Answer by sarah6183 at 10:03 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I agree a week.
    LND

Answer by LND at 10:53 AM on Feb. 6, 2009