Need some guidance...

when I was little my mom abandoned me and my brother with my dad so she could do drugs. My dad worked hard to take care of us be he soon became an alcoholic. I didnt have much of a family, so when I became pregnant at 16 I used what little I had as my example of what NOT to do to my daughter. My dad is now sober and my mom is also, but I feel they are trying to make up for the past. I am lost, I dont have hate towards them anymore, Im grow up from that and moved on...But I dont know if the way I was brought up is a good thing or a bad thing?
But my question is...
Is what they did to me really THAT bad, since it made me an amazing mother??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• You sound like an absolutely lovely & amazing person with a refreshing attitude.

Based on the description of your early life, I think you had it hard for a kid and were not parented as well as you or any child deserves. You appear to have taken your experience on board and used it as a guideline on how 'not to parent', which is what I would have done to. I think the fact you have done this answers the question you are asking.

The fact you are an amazing mother is a credit to you I think, not your parents.
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 4:01 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• no, i mean if it makes you a better person then i say no... they still suck for abusing substances as parents but some people are resilient... some people are phoenixes.... some people grow from the negative,,, you seem to be one of those people... good for you...

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2009