Awkward situation

I returned from a road trip recently from Texas with my parents to drop my sister off at College, and bought some scrapbooking supplies that I wouldn't be able to get locally easily (local scrapbooking stores dont carry the brands, and finding them at the prices I did elsewhere-like My Minds Eye at Ross is rare, plus I'm an hour away from Ross).

Neither my best friend, who I scrapbook with periodically, nor I can afford to stock up often, so I share when I can, even stuff I love. I gave her a Martha Stewart punch nearly new for her b-day b/c she REALLY wanted it, so it was her early b-day present. I've given her sheets of paper from favorite stacks here and there b/c she had less than me and I wanted to help her build her supplies a little, she's borrowed several cricut cartridges from me, etc.

The last 2 times from when I visited her were awkward for 2 reasons: first was wedding paper I'd found on clearance. I'd been looking for a looooong time for something I loved and could afford, and this stack by Paper Studio has 3 of each sheet. She asked for one of each design, and I answered "I'll finish my wedding album and what I dont use I'll let you have the rest of the stack." I don't know that I'll find that stack again, and I can barely afford my own scrapbooking supplies, much less someone else's. She said that if it was HER she would do that because she didn't think I'd use 3 of each paper and she knew it was hard to find (another reason I didn't want to share yet-I LOVE that paper and have no idea how much I'll need or not).

The second one was with halloween paper I'd picked up by Me and my Big Ideas because she'd asked for a couple different papers that I was thinking I'd probably use. She asked, and hinted several times about her layout idea and how other papers might not work, and kept going for several minutes, PLUS she ended up using 6 out of 48 papers. I felt like it was a little much but I was already so weary of politely trying to say "no" in the other situations I figured "oh well-gotta pick my battles"

I dont want her to think I'm selfish or dont want to share, but it seems she's going a bit far-I mean 6 papers out of 48???? I was comfortable sharing 2 or 3, but I needed that paper to last a few Halloween's (I dont take tons of Halloween pics, but I do like to scrap the ones I get).

How would you suggest saying "no" (in terms of how would you word it) firmly but nicely, to prevent butthurtness and curb her pushiness in the future? Sorry so long, and thanks!

purplerobin

Asked by purplerobin at 10:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2012 in Relationships

• I would just take out what I might use during the times we are scrapbooking together. OR, quit scrapbooking with her.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2012

• I would just say no. If she gets butt hurt too bad. She'll get over it.
    Keni-Lyn

Answer by Keni-Lyn at 12:03 AM on Sep. 3, 2012

• I would just start not brining all my supplies out if i am visiting her, or she is coming over. If you only have a few total out, she may be less likely to assume you have some to spare.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2012

• By saying your running low and you can't
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 11:14 PM on Sep. 2, 2012

• I agree with LeJane, just say no. You spent YOUR money on it for a reason, if you saying no causes that much of a problem in your relationship, it must not be that good of one.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2012

• I think you need to learn to say NO ! This is crazy. With all of the things you could be enjoying in life and all that goes on- how can this be a problem ? Just say "Sorry" and quit trying to please her. Do not bring it up and don't tell her what you have or buy when it comes to this. If you are that worried about her I would find new friends and definetely some new hobbies as well.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2012

• Does she return the favors? You say you share with often when you buy, does she also share with you with stuff she buys?
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:06 PM on Sep. 2, 2012