Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

I feel like a jerk even asking this...but what is the protocol?

A friend of mine asked to have my daughter serve as the flower girl in her wedding. The wedding is this month, and they called it off today.

I bought the dress they wanted and didn't say a word about the price, but it was about the most expensive one they had available. It was $350!

I seriously doubt the dress shop will give me any portion of the money back since it has been altered and paid in full. I know she is broken hearted from the break up, and it would suck to bring it up, but that is a LOT of money to just be out. I was pissed to begin with about spending that kind of money. I know all of the bridesmaids are in the same boat, because their dresses were that much or more.

Am I just going to have to eat it?

Answer Question

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:46 PM on Sep. 2, 2012 in Relationships

Level 37 (93,457 Credits)
Answers (15)
  • Yeah, you probably will. It sucks majorly though, I am sure. Have her wear it at Easter or something so it wasn't a complete waste. Or try to sell it on Ebay.

    Answer by kmath at 11:48 PM on Sep. 2, 2012

  • I would check with the dress shop. If it hasn't been worn other than for fittings many will take it back at a discount from what you paid and tehn sell it "as is" in the store.

    Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:48 PM on Sep. 2, 2012

  • Probably not, if the dress had never been altered, you could've received at least half of your money back but, after altering, no. You could try to sell it like Kmath suggested.


    Answer by 3libras at 11:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2012

  • I would ask the shop. If they will not accomidate you I would talk to the "ex-bride".
    If they both say no I wouldn't push it, unless you want that relationship to end.

    Answer by Keni-Lyn at 11:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2012

  • That really sucks and it's not like you can ask her to give you the money. Have you thought about trying to sell the dress online or in-store. Or maybe you can keep it for a special occasion, maybe you can take you dd some pics in her new dress if you decide to keep it. So that its not a total loss.

    Answer by RoyalBlossom at 12:25 AM on Sep. 3, 2012

  • gdiamante

    Answer by gdiamante at 1:22 AM on Sep. 3, 2012

  • I believe you are just out of the money maybe you can sale on ebay or she can give u half

    Answer by jazmya_mom at 2:11 AM on Sep. 3, 2012

  • if it were me, i would end up keeping the dress and let her wear it at halloween.
    sorry i just have to ask this, does your daughter even like the dress?

    Answer by noel1978 at 2:30 AM on Sep. 3, 2012

  • They alter dresses all the time. So I'd call them and see what they say.

    Answer by admckenzie at 2:31 AM on Sep. 3, 2012

  • No harm in asking. IMO You will probably have to suck it up though.
    If she gets married again. I would not pay for anything again.
    I would tell her you owe me $350 from the last time you almost got married.
    You pay for it.

    Answer by louise2 at 5:31 AM on Sep. 3, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.