Unable to breastfeed & I have ovarian cysts - are these related?

I have two big ovarian cysts (about 5 cm each) on my right side that I've had throughout my entire pregnancy. I had my baby on Saturday and my milk has yet to come in. I also have an almost 4-year old son and no milk ever came in with him, either. (I am not sure if I had cysts when I had him).

I have never been diagnosed with anything, and I'm not trying to diagnose myself with anything (meaning PCOS) over the internet - but has anyone experienced cysts and being unable to nurse? I am so curious of they are related. I am seeing a LC and I am going to ask my doctor what is wrong with me since this is the 2nd time I have had trouble or been unable to breastfeed. :-(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no they would have no relation to each other. sorry you can't breast feed but the cysts aren't the reason. More likely you don't have enough of the hormone prolactin.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 8:43 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I can't copy and paste the text but put this in your address bar up top:

http://books.google.com/books?id=-XhKfbW8ig8C&pg=PA462&lpg=PA462&dq=ovarian+cysts+and+lactation&source=bl&ots=1SJzgKUJbQ&sig=DeE430n-dl_wzgcSuFvRTitTEIs&hl=en&ei=ykeMSef7DZmatwfq8eWrCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result

It is suspected that the high levels of testosterone resulting from PCOS can interfere with the hormones necessary for full lactation. Read the paragraph on the lower right.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:28 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I wouldn't think they are related because I know lots of women with PCOS/ovarian cysts who were able to breastfeed. I never produced very much milk either and I don't have cysts. My doctor did prescribe Reglan for me to help increase my milk supply and it worked. I hope the LC is able to help you. I had inverted nipples and low supply. I managed to pump for 6 weeks until I dried up and then had to put my baby on formula only. He is healthy as can be, so if you do have to use formula, there is nothing wrong with it! At least you tried! Good luck!
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 10:04 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• It can take up to 10 days for your milk to come in (rare but it happens). Why do you think that you don't have milk? How many diapers is your baby wetting a day with JUST breastmilk?

And to answer your question it depends on the type of cyst. Some can cause hormal issues that could be a contributing factor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Because with my first I never had any milk despite feedings, pumpings, etc. We wound up formula-feeding him. I was hoping to be able to nurse my new son -- I am also now on Reglan and I am going to rent a pump today. We are supplementing now - before this he wasn't pooping and had maybe 1 wet diaper a day. He was losing way too much weight.

I was just curious if anyone else had cysts and trouble breastfeeding.
    Anonymous

• i dont see a connection because a ovarian cyst and unable to breast feed are to separate things.....a ovarian cyst is while depends which type it is, it could be the one with water in it or the one where a egg gets trapped in there. breastfeeding issues can be like your nipples are clogged or something like that ...have you told your doctor or talked about it before so that your dr. could help you??? have you spoken to a specialist in breastfeeding ....the la lecha or other organizations that offer free advice for women on breastfeeding there kids
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 12:42 PM on Feb. 6, 2009