How can I get my 2nd grader son to be more responsible about his homework?

I spoke to my son's teacher last night due to the fact he is going to the "Responsibility Room" today and Monday for not doing his class work. She said he is not doing what he needs to during class and getting behind. He is shy and will not ask for help. She is afraid that if she doesn't do something to make him fired up and start asking her questions that he will "fade into the woodwork" as she put it! I am worried about my little guy! Help!

Scrapmom73

Asked by Scrapmom73 at 8:24 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You can talk to her about writing is assignments or making sure he does in his planner. If he doesnt have a planner then get one they dont cost much. She can make sure he has everything written down and initial it, you initial it saying you saw and made sure he did the work. If he is still having problems it could be he isnt getting the work being taught and you may need to call the school and ask about the tutoring services they might have free.

Answer by gemgem at 8:30 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• try working out a reward chart eaither with the teacher or just at home. and he gets a really cool prize when he complets his work. its hard when they just shy away at school but the teacher also needs to help you out as a team. i didnt like to speak up eaither in class "what if im wrong kids will laugh at me" so i know how that feels and its been YEARS. good luck mama xo i feel for you and your lil guy..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:30 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• You and the teacher need to develop a communication log; Weekly homework planner, daily notes home whatever works for you. It is my experience that kids this age still require a lot of outside structure and support. I wish that teachers would not assign homework until kids are old enought to take responsibility for it themselves. My son's teacher sends home a homework packet and when he falls behind in the classroom, the assignment comes home with him that night to be returned the next day.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 5:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Maybe try over summer or even now a playgroup. Like a Park 'n' Rec. program, or YMCA with other kids his age doing something he likes. It could be a reward system to do, plus if he enjoys something with other kids his age he may get more social and vocal. Our Park 'n' Rec. has T-ball, Soccer, Basketball.... Even our summer school programs are a little more relaxed with board games to involve math, art. something to get him social.
    Sadielg

Answer by Sadielg at 12:10 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Thank you everyone for your thoughts! I am incorporating ideas from each of you! He does have a planner that he has to fill out, but the teacher says he is not doing it, which is why he doesn't know what he is supposed to do and turn in. He writes down "Spelling, reading, math" but no pages #'s! So frustrating!
    Scrapmom73

Answer by Scrapmom73 at 8:50 AM on Feb. 9, 2009