Did anyone ever hear of Your Baby Can Read...

I bought the set off the discovery channel. It's by a doctor named Robert Titzer. I was just wondering if anyone had thought about it?

My son has been using it since hes 2 1/2 months, been watching it almost 4 month, I'm impressed by what he can do!

NickysMomma888

Asked by NickysMomma888 at 8:47 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• So it does work, huh. My mother is talking about buying it for my 22 month old and 5 month old. It cost $200.00. I told her to go right ahead, but don't expect nothing back from me. But since you say it's working then I guess it is worth the money.
    blessedmom1

Answer by blessedmom1 at 8:49 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• They say to start it at 3 months.. Since my son has been on it hes more vocal, LOTS of different sounds, hes learning to clap, and wave bye. My friend has a baby that is a 10 days older than mine, and I let her borrow one and even since he's been watching it, I hear him talking more(he was a VERY quiet baby, too). Yes, it's expensive, but so far I believe that he is learning. I just can't wait until he's a year old and saying all different words!!
    NickysMomma888

Answer by NickysMomma888 at 8:55 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• It doesn't sound like a bad idea then, but still like I told her don't expect nothing back because I told her not to get it. My dd is already smart, she know all of her alphabets (even Identify them), count 1-10. Know her objects. As a matter of fact, she got a Cool School Computer for X-mas and she knows how to work that and she is almost 2 yrs old. She wouldn't even let me show her how to work it, she figured it out on her own. And she call herself trying to read, but it's in baby language.
    blessedmom1

Answer by blessedmom1 at 9:02 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Yeah, my son is seems like hes going to be super smart, too. He'll be 6 months on the 8th, and he's already moving all over the place! (It's EVERY mother's right to Brag, lol) So I hope it only helps him in the long run. If shes sound smart, I've seen two year olds, that don't even talk. It only be for her benefit! She'll most definately learn from it.
    NickysMomma888

Answer by NickysMomma888 at 9:44 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Heard of it and think it's a waste of money and time. Everything that video is doing you can do with your child for free and do it BETTER. It does not teach infants to read. It teaches them to stare at the screen and memorize.

But to each his own....no, I don't think it hurts them any. But it is a waste of money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• We have been doing it for a month now and my 7 mo old DD LOVES it. Especially the songs!! She still hasn't showed any signs of "reading" but I know I have to have patience, patience, patience..lol
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 11:21 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• It's rote learning, not reading. The kids learn to recognize words. They don't learn to sound them out - which is true "learning to read".
    I looked into this program for my daughter and was shocked by what I found. Did you know that several studies have shown that kids who learn to "sight read" before they learn phonics have a harder time learning phonics? Why? Because phonics is time consuming to learn and since these kids can already "read" they don't see any point in putting in the effort to learn to read properly. By mid grade school they are far behind their peers. This was part of the problem in the '80's when educators were puzzled why so many high school kids couldn't read. Those who could had learned phonics as kids. Those who couldn't had been taught to memorize words.

So, is this just a waste of money and/or a good babysitter? No. It can harm your child's future chances in school.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:44 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Back in the 1940's, my home school district taught reading by memorization, recognizing words.

Out of all my aunts, uncles and my mom...absolutely NONE of them could spell. If they didn't know the word, they didn't know how to sound out a word...they couldn't spell it.

I agree with kaycee and the previous anon poster...I think it's a bad idea and you're not doing your children any favors. (just my opinion....I agree you can do as you wish!)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:03 PM on Feb. 6, 2009