How much should my 6 month old be eating?

He's on stage 2 foods

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• depends on the child. My son would eat a whole jar at that age, and then another half jar, I would do breakfast, lunch and dinner. Always start off with small amounts, you can always give them more
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:41 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I started with cereal in the morning, about an 1 1/2 after she nursed. I'd put in fruit and let her have juice. Then in the afternoon I'd give her 1/2 jar of a veg. It does all depend on your baby. If he seems hungry you can give him more per serving or feed him more times per day. What works for one baby may not work for another. You just have to follow their cues and give them more as needed. My daughter is now 10 mos. and eating a bigger cereal portion, on Stage 3 foods twice a day, and she also still nurses 3-4 times per day.
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 10:13 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• As much as he wants, as long he's still getting a good amount of breastmilk/formula. My son wasn't very interested in baby food until 8 or 9 months, just wanted his bottle. But if he likes the solids and wants them, then let him eat as much as he wants. He'll let you know when he's full. :-)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:03 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My son is breastfed, but based on what he takes while I'm at work he takes about 32 oz
    And for baby foods he takes...
    Breakfast- 1 cube fruit (about an oz) and 1 tablespoon oatmeal
    Lunch- 2-3 oz of fruit and vege
    Dinner- 2 oz fruit or vege
    And usually he is getting a little bit of rice cereal too... because he likes his food thick so we use it as a thickener
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:44 PM on Feb. 6, 2009