What's your opinion on cell phones and kids?

My son tells me over and over that all of his friends have a cell phone, he's 12, I think it's crazy. My sister is a struggleing single mom with a 16 yr old and a 10 yr old.. She complains all the time about the bill and I told her the kids have no reason to have cell phones... The 16 yr old doesn't even drive a car yet! And the daughter has an attitude bigger than she is. Thanks for letting me vent, I can't tell my sister how to raise her kids, maybe the next time she complains I will just laugh and say, "you created this monster!'

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My daughter and nephew have them and they are both 10. I don't see anything wrong with it. I have access to them at all times.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 9:16 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Just out of curiosity, why isn't her daughter driving yet?
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 9:17 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• The only reason a kid needs a cell phone is if they are old enough to drive and have one for emergencies - and in that case, a prepaid with 20 minutes of call time and no texting is sufficient.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:18 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My nephew is 15, has a cell phone. His is pre-paid. Once the minutes are gone,then they're gone. He mostly texts on it. I think that if the kids are out and about and they would have a way to get a hold of you in an emergency if needed, and you would be able to get a hold of them. Pre-paid is the way to go because if they waste the minutes they're gone, and there's a lot of them that you can do good deals on. My nephew has the gophone by cingular I think....and he just texts so there are special thing you can do to just have unlimited texting and stuff. I would never get a contract phone with a teenager, just pre-paid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• my dd is 11 and all her friends have one she wants one but only cause everyone has one. so no. also im a sahm and she knows i can be reached and there is only one kid on our street so when she goes there i just say be at home at this time and thats it. i told dd when shes older maybe put she will be paying for it herself. so she will under stand that maken calls or texting will cost her. even if its a pre paid phone she will be responsable for it. but at age 9 10 11 12 13 14 its just fun to have i guess. its the cool thing i guess.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:21 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• i agree if older and driving pre paid.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:22 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• IMO, Their is know reason for a child or teen to have a cell phone. Having one is not a right, it's a privilege. My DD's never had one. I told them when they can afford one. They can have one. Just like driving,,,when they can afford a car and Insurance. They can drive. IMO

Answer by louise2 at 9:23 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Well, I guess I'm the old stick in the mud here. Already raised two boys...now raising two grandkids..rules are the same. When THEY get a job and can pay the bill they can have a cell phone. There is no earthly reason a ten yr old needs one. My kids, my rules, My opinion.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:24 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I don't think any child of any age should have a cell phone unless they can pay for it themselves. It's a privilege, not a right or need.

3earthangels

Answer by 3earthangels at 9:25 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I dont have an issue with them having phones. My oldest 3 have cells phone and for my 8 yrs oldsbday in march hes also getting one. It makes life easier for me to try and get a hold of them, and it keeps them off my phone at all hours. They also use them to text friends which also keeps them off the computer when all they want to do is text. Their friends and cousins and aunts and uncles all h ave cells. They all text back and forth with one another. Its nice seeing them communicate with their family that way.,So no I dont have an issue with kids and cell phones. I think if youcan afford it then go for it. If you cant then just say no.

Answer by gemgem at 9:28 AM on Feb. 6, 2009