My 13 mo old is terribly constipated. We tried apple juice, and she already eats about a 1/2 cup of broccoli a day. I have heard of children's laxatives, but does anyone else have any advice?

caidensmommy516

Asked by caidensmommy516 at 6:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Kids' Health

• thanks ladies. we are now trying milk of magnesium and mineral oil per our pedi b/c kayro and prune juics and pear have not worked. wish us luck !
    caidensmommy516

Answer by caidensmommy516 at 6:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My oldest uses Miralax. It works but I would try other things first. Try pear juice. It's much more gentle on their body...my kids always got diaper rash from apple juice because of the citrus.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Have you tried feeding her raisins or mixing a little prun juice in her milk. They can't taste it. I have a child that is 5 and stays constipated we keep raisin in the house for snack and they really help him work out his problem. but as little as she is I wouldn't give her very many
    littlered79

Answer by littlered79 at 7:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• We use grape Juice, it works..
    Preciv

Answer by Preciv at 7:14 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Calcium/magnesium supplements
    jenniferm

Answer by jenniferm at 8:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Maltsuplex is available at the pharmacy, I think my 18 year old would have exploded 17 years ago without it. We had to use suppositories for him, until the pediatrician told us about this stuff and it really worked. We mixed it with his milk, like chocolate syrup and he loved it, it is mocha flavored.
    snugglebunney

Answer by snugglebunney at 9:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My granny used to put a little bit of Karo syrup in our food or cereal. She only did it when we were constipated. Now I use it with my kids and it works. I know it is sugary, but I only use it when my kids have constipation and it doesn't take much to do the trick.
    Nicollynne

Answer by Nicollynne at 10:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i was seeing a nurse and she would come to my house and she gave me some KARO DARK CORN SYRUP you can find it in any store and just use a small spoon full and mix it with water. it helped my little one when he was smaller he didnt go number 2 for 3 days.
    Mommy2aPRINC210

Answer by Mommy2aPRINC210 at 10:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• One of my twins has issues with constipation. Our pediatrician told us to use Miralax. Apple juice works too, but as another mom said, it tends to give her a diaper rash. Good luck.
    TwinMomma2006

Answer by TwinMomma2006 at 10:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Colace. It's an OTC stool softener. It puts water back in the stool to soften it and let it pass. It's gentle and effective. (I was even allowed to use it while I was pregnant.) Also try prune juice, or prunes.
    hcmerrell

Answer by hcmerrell at 4:00 AM on Jun. 21, 2008