New York City Travel

Ok, Heres the deal im trying to plan a cheap trip to New York City for me and my Husband for the summer. I am wanting to know if any of you could tell me the better way to travel around the city. Should we rent a car of just use taxis and subways? Which would be cheaper.

busygal26

Asked by busygal26 at 9:36 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Travel

• Taxis can be pricey too if you are going to use them a lot. I'd say plan on using the subway as much as possible. Take a few cabs if you really want to but plan on the subways. It's not worth the stress to drive in the city no matter what is costs to rent a car. Driving in NYC is an art. I don't recommend attempting it unless you previously lived in Turkey (which by my approximation is the only city crazier to drive in than NY).
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:49 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• A great restaurant that is decently priced in Brooklyn is called Dominic's and it is on Arthur Ave. It is THE place to get italian food.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:50 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I live in NYC. I really think if you have the money for it, taxi's would be a better choice. There's traffic, looking for parking which is impossible and It may be may more expensive to park your rental than it is to pay cab fair. I think public transportation is definately the way to go. I hope you enjoy your visit ;)
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 10:03 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• subways are fairly cheap. You can also just pay for an all day pass on tour buses and they run the whole cite and stop at all major touristy places or close by. I use to go to the city every few months. Do not drive into the city. Or drive through the city. Daily parking in lots is expensive. We'd just take the train into the city.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:17 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Taxis and subways are much cheaper. If you rented a car then you'd have to pay a ton for parking.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 10:42 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Call My Mom say Gena from CafeMom said to call her 559-321-5886
    Great Deals and Specials.....Her name is Sandra Venegas
    or email her at : theartoftravelbysandra@yahoo.com

Doesn't where you live, she can help you.
    genav

Answer by genav at 3:19 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Totally the subway and bus, avoid renting a car at all costs. The subway is very easy to use. Of course you need to remember you will be walking a lot!!! But study the subway its really easy. Go to the library and get a book on NYC so much info, you can have your trip planned out before you get there or not. Have fun we are going for spring break. Upper east side. Good luck.
    pepperannrocks

Answer by pepperannrocks at 4:41 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• thankyou for all your help it will defenitely be interesting going from ks to newyork but i will defenitly not rent a car now. I think we might wait on planing our trip for another month or two to make sure my husbands job picks back up first before we spend a chunk of our savings on a selfish trip but all your help is much appreciated.
    busygal26

Answer by busygal26 at 5:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• i live in nyc, take the subways and ask the subway booths for a map they are pretty easy to read, also you can walk pretty much anywhere in ny, unless its really alot of blocks away. dont be shy to ask nyorkers for directions people will help..
    christine2007

Answer by christine2007 at 2:17 PM on Feb. 11, 2009