Why do we spoil our kids?

they are learning that they do not have to work for anything. When i was a kid I use to see kids working at fast food restaurants, now I see old people? What are we teaching our kids?

gammie

Asked by gammie at 9:58 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• My kids are spoiled but they still work for what they want and lose things when they dont earn them. They dont work normal jobs like Mcdonalds because I think their education is more important then compromising time away from homework for a $6 an hour job. I want more for them then that. So they do their homework, get good grades, help around the house, and do community service work with me sometimes (volunteer various places). I think thats enough. And I spoil them because I can. I think my kids deserve anything and everything on tis earth and should have whatever they want. But if they screw up they also lose those things.

Answer by gemgem at 10:08 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• me and dh try to teach kids nothing is free and you have to work to get what you want. also when we have all the kids ( on our weekend. ) we have them all help stacking wood or bringing in wood. we all use the heat and we all benifit from it. even our 3 year old son helps he brings me a piece he can lift and i will stack it. we try to teach them the value of money and it dosent grow on trees. my dd age 11 knows what i mean when i say im broke. lol. i try not to sopil and if i buy them something they want when its not a b day i will make them earn it . were hopeing for the best from our kids and not grow up thinking all they have to do is ask. earn it. but i agree with you alot of kids just get. they didnt earn.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Honestly, I think a lot has to do based on how we, as children were raised. I know my parents were fairly strict~ They always knew where I was, what I was doing, and if I screwed up, I was punished. I had to work for my money, I had to earn the opportunity to go out on weekends by doing chores around the house. As much as I thought I 'hated' them while growing up, I look back and am grateful, because they made me who I am today. And I will be the same with my children. It depresses me to see what kind of kids are growing up in the world today... sometimes I wonder how they can even call the people 'raising' them 'parents'. (and I use those words in the lightest of terms). Too many parents try too hard to be friends as opposed to mom and dad, and often times it backfires. My daughter knows she can come to me for anything, but if she does something wrong, she is still going to face the consequences.
    sarah6183

Answer by sarah6183 at 10:14 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My kids know that nothing is free and if you want something you have to work for it, my son just turned 16 and is planning on getting a job so he can buy a car.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:22 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I was raised to work for what i wanted i prove that i wanted it badly. I didn't like it so why would my children. My parents brought me up brilliantly but i don'twant my children brought up like i was, i want them to have a little more freedom. So i basically spoilt them, but they have more respect for me then many un-spoilt children, they help out a lot, they all know they're manners and yes they have the occasional fit but what child doesn't. I feel the same way as GEMGEM. I don't want my children ever to work in a fast food restraunt i want them to have a god education, i would rather them study then work, so my promise is to fund they're collage and university.

Anonymous

• I'm not spoiling mine. He's five and already has several chores around the house, for which he does not receive an allowance. it's important for kids to contribute to the household because they are members of it.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2009