how much tv do you let your preschooler watch?

oyvey

Asked by oyvey at 9:59 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I dont really set an amount of time as far as how much they can watch. When my first child was born, I had on sesame street and dora EVERY day. She is now five, and knows quite a bit of basic spanish, knew her alphabet and could recognize letters at 18 months, and is one of the smartest in her class. I dont think tv is harmful, as long as its the right kind of shows. Also, it doesnt hurt to have the tv going on in the background while your children play. My 13 month old absolutley LOVES Curious George. At 11 months he was able to say 'Joge' (for George), and could recognize curious george when we were at the store. He still watches the show daily.

I would also recommend reading to your preschooler too. And just spending quality time with him/her. As the saying goes 'don't let tv be your babysitter'. But its not gonna hurt them to watch a couple shows. :)
    sarah6183

Answer by sarah6183 at 10:08 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• None. It's all garbage.
    Anonymous

• LOL anonymous it isn't all garbage. My daughter watches educational shows such as Dora that teaches her Spanish (she was born in Spain and is technically a dual nationality so I love that she learns Spanish), Sesame Street, Backyardigans (GREAT for imagination!), and sometimes animal planet because she likes learning about animals. I don't limit her on time really, she gets to watch a few shows. Then we play, usually while the tv is on something appropriate for her to be listening to while we play tea party or color or something. She is advanced for her age, as are my 2 boys who grew up watching even more tv than she does. I don't feel its the time you have to limit, but you do have to limit WHAT they watch more than anything.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:35 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Our doctor recommended no more than 2 hours a day for our 4 yr old... But he doesn't even watch that much... We have some days that are completely tv free - sometimes on purpose, sometimes it just happens that way because we're too busy having fun to think about turning it on. I've noticed when he's bored he asks to watch tv. I usually try to redirect. (I read in more than one place that the average American child, no age specified, watches 8.5 hrs of tv a day!! That would be WAY too much for me!)
    becleemar

Answer by becleemar at 11:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• my daughter (4) doesnt watch much..she watches more during the winter, because we cant really go outside..during the summer, never!!! but now, she watches a couple minutes in the morning while shes eatin her breakfast and im in the shower..and then at 530pm, hannah montana comes on, and she just HAS to watch that..lol..then she'll watch from like 8-close to 9 before bed..id say around 2 hours a day..maybe a lil more if we watch a movie in the afternoon on a rainy boring day..but really..the only time she watches is when im cleaning..or showering..or making supper..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:41 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I don't really have a limit on how much they can watch. I do home daycare, and the TV is usually on all day. Do they watch the TV all day? NO! My daughters loves Dora and Diego, and I can't believe how much they have learned from that show. They might also sit and watch The Backyardigans, but that's about it. I leave it on mostly for backround noise lol! I would say they probably watch a total of about an hour and a half a day. If it's a boring day, then we might put in a movie, but even then, they don't tend to sit and watch the entire movie. They also love to read, and are loving there TAG readers! They would prefer to sit and use those than watch a show on TV.
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 6:27 AM on Feb. 7, 2009