dirty dog ears help

Help! My mom has dog that has really dirty ears and one of them has an infection. The Vet has given her meds to put in there. The problem is that my mom cannot get the meds in there without the dog biting at her!! I'm sure the ears hurt and this is why the dog won't let her do it. So now my mom is afraid to even try and I think the ear is getting worse. I bought her a muzzle for the dog but she said it was too small and even getting it on her was a struggle. I have told her that the dog could poss. lose hearing in that ear and that she's in pain but she is still too afraid to do it. I am going to try and do it but am also afraid since the one time i tried to put frontline flea on the dog she tried to bite me too!! I need pointers and advice on how to get the meds in the ear without hurting both of us!!

GMR

Asked by GMR at 10:06 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Pets

• There needs to be two people handling the dog or it's not going to work. Our dog has an ear infection too right now. My hubby holds him down and I put the drops in. I would also get another muzzle that fits.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:13 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Christine0813, this dog is like the Tazmanian Devil! Two people have held her and she totally freaks out.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:31 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Has she tried contacting her vet back for help? I know it may be a pain in the A** but it might be worth taking him there so they can do it.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:38 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I hate to say it but my mom is one of those people who really should NOT have a pet. She won't go back to the vet because of the charge. Or also because she doesn't want the vet to know she has not been using the meds. I swear she drives me crazy. I thought of taking the dog to my vet but she doesn't want to do that either.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:45 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• AWW, so sorry. I don't know what else I can tell you. I mean either she does what she needs to for the dog or she should find a good home for him. If you want keep me updated.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:01 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• She says she LOVES her dogs and would NEVER give them away. I told her that she was neglecting them. She responded with, "I love my dogs!, look how healthy they look!" I told her she didn't deserve to have pets if she wasnt gonna do right by them. Boy that was a doozy of an arguement!
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 11:04 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Yeah I'm sure. Actually my dog I gave to my sister, not that we weren't taking care of him but I felt he wasn't getting the love and attention he deserved with having my kids. So she had him for a few months and moved from my mothers house into her own and the dog stayed with my mom. Then just a short time ago my mom was in the hospital so I took him thinking it was gonna be a short time and I am stuck with him again. I have him here and I have to care for him while still trying to find a place for him. Not just going to take him to a pound and any place I do find they won't take him because he is too "old" or not coming from a shelter. So he probably is going to be with us again till his final days. Maybe it would be a good idea for her to find a place if he isn't oo old.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:13 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Thanks for all your input. I will keep trying to get her to do what's right.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 11:42 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• NP. I hope things work out for the best.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:51 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• someone hold the dogs body down, the other hold the mouth shut and then try. talk very calmly and keep telling the dog she is ok and things like that. My dog hates it too and she always gets mad at me when i clean them. i use wax removal drops on her and after a few days it clears up
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 2:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2009