To do, or not to do.......it's a toss up

My son has bee trucking with my dad for the past 2 weeks. I told him before he could go outside and play he had to fold and put away his clothes that I'd washed while he was gone. In no time flat he was getting his sandals on to go out. It made me skeptical. When asked he said he had just thrown the clothes in his drawers instead of folding them first. I was disappointed, but allowed him to go out anyway.

Well, come to find out he just tossed it all in his bottom drawer, and now it's wide open, unable to be closed at all because of the mess.

Do I take everything out of all drawers and toss it on his floor and make him put it all away, or do I make him fold everything in the wide open drawer?

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 9:26 PM on Sep. 3, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wouldn't take everything out of all the drawers, just everything out of the bottom drawer and tell him he has to fold them all and put them away right if wants to continue to play.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 9:43 PM on Sep. 3, 2012

• How old is this kid? First, Before he went out side. you should have went and seen if he did what you told him to. Then you would have found out he didn't. then you would have told him to do what you told him to do.

But sense you didn't do that. You take all the cloths out of the drawers and make him fold them up and put them away, right.

Answer by louise2 at 9:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2012

• Just the clothes you had aked him to fold and put away earlier in the day.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:31 PM on Sep. 3, 2012

• I would call him in from playing and make him fold everything right.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:30 PM on Sep. 3, 2012

• I don;t know the age of your son but I would probably either toss it on the floor or bed or have him do it. I would stand over him while he did it and every other thing you ask of him until he regains your trust.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2012

• He'll be 9 in October.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 9:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2012

• How about, tell him you noticed he put it all in one drawer that can't close.

Say you know he was hurrying so that he could go out & play. (Convey that this makes sense to you, you understand. This is bringing acceptance to the moment. Think about the possibility of changing the future BY how you respond in the present to what has already happened...)

Tell him you want him to deal with those clothes, that they belong in more than one drawer rather than all stuffed in the bottom drawer. Say how you want his dresser drawers to be able to open & close and for his clothes to be where he can find them easily. Point out that folding helps with this & organizing them (shirts in a drawer with shirts, etc.) helps, too. (So that's why you'd wanted him to fold them first.)

Let him know you want him to take care of this. And that you hope he had a good time playing, and welcome home, and all that.

Do any necessary venting alone first!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:41 AM on Sep. 4, 2012

• have him do it
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 9:40 PM on Sep. 4, 2012

• his "grandpa" taught him some bad habits, make him take it all out and redo it appropriately while you stand there supervising and have a talk with "grandpa" about teaching the "proper" ways to do things
    Keni-Lyn

Answer by Keni-Lyn at 12:27 AM on Sep. 11, 2012

• Yeah, the problem with Grandpa is that he's a bigot who thinks all women belong barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen.

This wound up being a moot point. The mess was just his shorts and pants, unfolded, tossed into the drawer. He came in shortly after I posted this and I made him do it the right way.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 12:51 AM on Sep. 11, 2012