Are you comfortable with Adoption professionals

Are you comfortable with adoption professionals (agency employee, or lawyer) being in CM's adoption topic groups?

adopteeme

Asked by adopteeme at 6:44 AM on Sep. 4, 2012 in Adoption

• I wouldn't give legal advice as a professional. Because it would be an over reach of practice for me. I can say my guess as a mom on here, like most of us. In real practice I defer to a lawyer. Always. On here I would take it with a grain of salt on a message board. To me I could be talking to a bald man in jail for writing bad checks. I could be some old lady with a dozen cats. Who's to say? I would find it annoying if I was trying to have a serious discussion but it boils down to the site and moderators. Are there better support sites? I can see your points. It is dirty ethics to try to convince a person to give up their parental rights as a professional. A NO NO in actual practice. But they are the ones who take the risk. If found out that could really complicate things for their professional license. It just depends on how they did it and impact it made.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:35 AM on Sep. 12, 2012

• It really just depends on what the discussion is and how they were participating.

On most of the conversations that I've seen take place here on CM, I don't think it would really matter.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:29 AM on Sep. 4, 2012

• I would think it would be great advice for FREE.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:17 AM on Sep. 4, 2012

• Only if they were required to always identify their connection properly and how they personally benefit from adoption.As an atty they would need to include they make money when successfully placing a child.

The reason why this could be an issue is because there are groups where women ONLY considering adoption ask questions.The woman needs to know if there is a benefit to the person encouraging adoption. This is much more profound than nutrition or beauty advice.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 2:41 PM on Sep. 4, 2012

• Actually no .It is a place for vents.I don't care for the witch that is overseeing my reunion with an 35 y.o. adult .She is angry ,angry at her birth mother and has told me in way to much detail for a strictly professional relationship.

She worries me because she clearly lets her anger color what she says to both me and my oldest.I have been known to vent about her in one of the groups and wouldn't want her there maybe realizing it is her I am stressing over.

She has every right to feel how ever she feels about being adopted and her birth mother but that does not make every job correct for her.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 2:58 PM on Sep. 4, 2012

• I am someone who is both working on being a certified adoption specialist and a mom through adoption. I already work closely with my local adoption community from different angles. The certification is for being able to do home studies. I would not advertise on this site. But I do offer different points of view. It depends on how it is done. I was having lunch with another social worker how boundaries are needed and it takes a very ethical person to not mix those. That professionals can cross the line, without meaning to, all the time. Do I want people to "sell" me something on CM? No. As in directly contacting me and going after me for using their services. But I do not mind reading about their point of view or educating others what adoption looks like from their perspective. I guess I do not find it offensive to read their posts.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:04 AM on Sep. 5, 2012

• If they are allowed to participate in an adoption group on CM, would it be helpful if they were identified as a salesperson, and not an adoptive mother, pap, bmom or adoptee?
    adopteeme

Comment by adopteeme (original poster) at 6:48 AM on Sep. 4, 2012

• I agree they should identify themselves. I'm not familiar with these groups so I don't know what discussions take place that would be a conflict of interest.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:51 AM on Sep. 4, 2012

• Why not? I am fine if politicians or people that work in media are in Politics and current events, or stylists being in Beauty and Fashion, or health care professionals being in the Health section or nutritionists being in Diet & Fitness, etc. Why would it not be okay for them to be in the section they specialize in?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:52 AM on Sep. 4, 2012

• I too think it's a little deeper than the newest colors and nail designs, or info about an exercise routine. At first thought its more like having a mortician hanging out on a cancer support discussion board. Sure, the funeral director can have a cancer diagnosis himself or in his family that he would like to discuss on the message board. But- I would always be leary that he's there to drum up business and sell his caskets and plots. And, being the Internet - you do not know who you are talking to behind that computer screen.
    CM has boards where they allow commerce to take place.
    adopteeme

Comment by adopteeme (original poster) at 5:28 AM on Sep. 5, 2012