How far are you willing to go in defense of your faith or belief system?

I know that I was called by God to my faith. I didn't invent it so that it fit my ends. And I certainly find the opposition to my faith in these boards. This question is really in the spirit of this section of answers. I know that without the willingness to die for your faith, you will not win the race. A belief system that is not held with fervor and determination and sacrifice is doomed.

“Christ asks His disciples to imitate Him in this practice. Christians should foster and defend their well-earned professional, moral and social prestige, since it belongs to the essence of human dignity. This prestige is also an important component of our personal apostolate. Yet we should not forget that our conduct will meet with opposition from those who openly oppose Christian morality and those who practice a watered-down version of the Faith. It is possible that the Lord will ask of us the sacrifice of our good name, and even of life itself. With the help of His grace we will struggle to do His will. Everything we have belongs to the Lord.”

adnilm

Asked by adnilm at 8:30 AM on Sep. 4, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• I didnt know I was in a race. lol.
    My beliefs are my own. I'm not in competition with anyone. That is for ego boosting.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:09 AM on Sep. 4, 2012

• I don't feel the need to defend my faith or beliefs anymore than I feel the need to defend myself. I didn't go and invent anything to fit my ends, either, I genuinely and truly believe that I believe in the intended message of Christ, just as other prominent Christians, like John Shelby Spong and Brian McLaren, etc, believe very similarly to my own beliefs. I certainly don't go about choosing what "feels good" or is "easiest," I decide based on original language, original context, etc, etc, and not merely accepting a tradition that we can see developed less than honestly or unanimously. Whether someone else disagrees with me, though, is of no consequence to myself, so I see no need to defend myself, unless when engaged in a debate I've entered willingly. Someone else feeling my beliefs are less than truth does not make them any less true to me. Nor does it change the effort I've put in to my search for truth thus far.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:36 AM on Sep. 4, 2012

• I'm all about whatever YOU believe is good for YOU- as long as you treat people with kindness, and it causes no harm

I don't have anyone to imitate- I just try to be a decent person for ME...and to be honest-I don't think too many "Christians" are imitating Christ very well...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:37 AM on Sep. 4, 2012

• I also am not of the opinion that God judges us on our zeal-ism or willingness to die for abstract concepts and ideas, unless we're talking making moral choices, such as pacifism or not stealing even to feed oneself. Talking "deny your beliefs or I'll shoot you," no. I don't think God cares if you say that knowing you don't mean it anymore than I think He wants anyone giving Him lip service or playing along "just in case."
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:39 AM on Sep. 4, 2012

• I didnt know I was in a race. lol.
    >>>
    We are all in a race. Fighting the good fight
    adnilm

Comment by adnilm (original poster) at 9:42 AM on Sep. 4, 2012

• I don't have anyone to imitate- I just try to be a decent person for ME...and to be honest-I don't think too many "Christians" are imitating Christ very well...
    >>>
    Just how do you see Christ?
    adnilm

Comment by adnilm (original poster) at 9:43 AM on Sep. 4, 2012

• We are all in a race. Fighting the good fight
    *******************************************
    I'm not.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:44 AM on Sep. 4, 2012

• I don't see it as a race, either, sahm. I see it as a journey, where we can each aide one another, not that we're pit against one another. The idea of being against others is a major flaw in religion, IMO.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:46 AM on Sep. 4, 2012

• I also am not of the opinion that God judges us on our zeal-ism or willingness to die for abstract concepts and ideas
    >>>
    Who is of that opinion? The first mistake you make is people would die for God or their belief in are doing it so they get special favor. If you've ever read any of the works of or about martyrs, you will see it has nothing to do with special goodies at the end
    adnilm

Comment by adnilm (original poster) at 9:46 AM on Sep. 4, 2012

• I'm not.
    >>>
    Good to know
    adnilm