What do ya'll think??

My 12 yr old is being a showoff in class, not paying attention,not getting his work done, etc... So his teacher and I have come up with a plan... I will be dropping in to observe today, and he knows nothing about it. There won't be any set schedule, just pop in whenever,lol This should burst his bubble!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• that sounds like a great plan, then when he's so shocked about it, tell him the next time I get another complaint, It'll be your father. I was always more scared of my dad than my mom. GL
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 10:18 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• good job for you mom. I think that when you show them you mean business it works better than mere threats.. keep us posted...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 10:19 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• might work, my kids teachers will call me anytime they are not doing what they are suppose to, and will put the kids on the phone so I can talk to them and yes it works great, they straighten right up. lol my oldest DD is in 11th grade and hates it when one of her teachers calls me and then puts her on the phone.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:19 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Perfect plan. I went to my sons school once(he's 21 and graduated now) but he wouldn't write down his homework so I went to the school and walked into his classroom where his homework was writen on the board and grabbed him by his ear and marched him up to the front of the class and asked him what does the board say and he read it to me and I said now write it down and If you come home again without it, I will do this again. All the kids were still in the classroom too. Needless to say he did not forget to write down his homework assignment anymore.
    mom_wrhsc

Answer by mom_wrhsc at 10:24 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My son's teacher last year came up with a really geat idea for kids that were goofing off in class, if they were playing at their desk she made them stand up and hold everything that they needed for the class and do their work standing up, she made my son do it once and he never goofed off again.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:46 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I hope it works. The element of surprise might be on your side. A couple of years ago I worked at a school where one 7th grader in particular was a real problem for everyone, but his mom thought he was an angel. She observed him but he knew about it and acted wonderfully that day. She never got to see his true school colors. It was sad and disappointing.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 12:44 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I wish my mom had ever heard tale of me actin out in school....forget the observations, I would've had her AND my father to contend with when I got home!

...and my parents were not shy about hurting my feelings if they thought I needed it either...physical or emotional. LOL
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 9:46 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• You're going to embarrass him, you're going to make him mad, and that means you're doing the right thing. If you can get through to him at home, get through to him at school. One of my friends in school's parents did this, and he didn't know she was observing until he said something stupid, and she came out of nowhere clapping and cackling. She walked up to him and said, "C'mon, Jerry. Let's hear another." It was histerical to all of us, but she told him that now he knew how terrible it was to interrupt a class, and that he'd never know when she was in the classroom again, ready to pop up and clap and cackle. He didn't really do much after that, except mumble silly things under his breath.
    ktrog

Answer by ktrog at 9:20 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Way to go Mom!!! I am threatening my 12 yr old with this one too. He is scared to death that I will show up and embarrass him. I told him that he is making choices that may force me to do just that. If he doesn't want me to sit in his classes he needs to do his work, turn it in, do it correctly and not be disrespectful to his teachers. His choice, his consequences.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I do it all the time to my son......and let me tell ya he has straighten right up because he doesn't know when i am coming......Good Luck to you

4kids1970

Answer by 4kids1970 at 5:50 PM on Feb. 7, 2009