how do i get that really great crusty stuff on potatoes?

you know how when you get potato wedges or roasted potatoes from somewhere and they have the nice crunchy, crusty skin on them? how do you do that? i have only had EVOO at home, and cook my taters at about 350 degrees. should i use regular olive oil, or cook them at a higher temperature? anybody know a good trick to get that crust? i'm pregnant and i really want to make them at home!

MaMaLaLa369

Asked by MaMaLaLa369 at 10:28 AM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I actually used a thin seasoned batter on potato wedges once because I wanted the crunchy crust. I just used flour, water, and seasonings aplenty, fried them in oil. :/ It'll probably kill you, but once here and there if you'r pregnant and craving it shouldn't do too much damage. :) LOL.
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 11:39 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• The higher the temp the crunchier the potato in the oven and olive oil is perfect for that. I don't really know how to get the stuff you're talking about but I do know if you thick cut some potatos and cover them with evoo and bake at 500 or 550 for about 20 mins turning only once, they turn out really good. I like to add some seasoning to mine.
    mom_wrhsc

Answer by mom_wrhsc at 10:33 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I always thought it was salt - maybe coarse sea salt?
    poisson

Answer by poisson at 10:35 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• i'm looking mainly for the real crusty outside, i don't think seasoning has much to do with that. usually when i cook my taters, they get a little crunchy on the edges, but the flat sides are what i'm looking forward to getting really crunchy, ya know? i know there aren't Ukrop's grocery stores everywhere, but their potato wedges are so good, and i think i can match the seasoning pretty closely. it's just the crusty, crunchy outsides i want! maybe i should call their chefs and ask... can you tell that i'm really hungry?? haha!
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 10:42 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• You cook them according to the package directions and in the last five minutes or so crank the heat and cook em and then flip em just a few minutes on each side! Hope this helps!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• no, i don't buy packaged foods a lot, anon. but thank you! i prefer to have healthier home cooked stuff, that's why i want to make similar potatoes at home! i don't want to have to buy the store-made potatoes (from their deli- made fresh, but still).
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 10:57 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• you don't cook them in the oven.. you put the oil in a pan on top of the stove.. like get a sauce pan.. and fill it up with oil.. get it HOT.. and throw the potatos in.. crispy as shit.. and VERY HEALTHY.. lol..
    pawneendn

Answer by pawneendn at 11:22 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• the ones you get in a restaurant are coated and come frozen and they deep fry them. look for battered fries in the freezer section and then deep fry them
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:38 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Back home, mom and pop gas stations sold this stuff and it was closer to what BethLopez has described. I believe they are fried and then kept under a heat lamp (oven) till bought. Those things are deadly but delicious!
    SxdUpAngel

Answer by SxdUpAngel at 11:56 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• hhmmm, yes, frying them and using a batter does sound like it would be the best way to get that crust. i can always set them on paper towels to soak up most of the excess oil too. oooo, now i just need to buy potatoes...
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 1:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2009